How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salary will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
**Note: This is a full-time, term-limited position ending after three (3) years with the the intent to re-evaluate for potential extension.**
Advanced Research Computing - Technology Services (ARC-TS) is the University of Michigan research IT provider specializing in High Performance Computing (HPC), Big Data (Hadoop/Spark/etc), high speed networking, storage and other technologies to accelerate the research mission of the institution.
The ARC-TS organization has an exciting opportunity to hire a Research Storage Engineer Associate. This is an excellent way for an IT professional with Linux and scripting experience to gain expertise in state-of-the art file and object storage technologies in production today.
Our selected candidate will join a team working on the portfolio of storage systems within ARC-TS. The primary responsibilities will be to assist in the development, deployment, maintenance and support of storage services for archive and active storage, which have current capacity of over 20 PB. These include IBM Spectrum Scale/GPFS and Lustre parallel filesystems on High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters and NAS filers. Finally, our selected candidate will also guide projects leading to the development of storage for HPC in the Cloud.
For more information about ARC-TS visit our website: arc-ts.umich.edu.
25% Research Storage Support
- Storage System Updates and Patches
- System Configuration
- System Health and Performance Monitoring
- Provisioning and Destruction of Media
40% User Support
- Support users access to ARC-TS storage systems
- Support the high performance transport of data over national and local networks
- Respond to User Requests
- Support researchers use of storage systems from external providers (Cloud, Central IT)
15% System Planning
- Monitor usage of storage resources and make recommendations to maintain service
- Work with other ARC-TS staff for data center utilization
- Maintain inventory of storage resources under ARC-TS management
15% Work within ARC-TS to improve the research computing environment on campus
5% Development of Self
- Keep abreast of application technology trends in storage infrastructure and environments (Computers, accelerators, system management methods, etc.) which can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, researching and testing
While not limited to the following, in this role our successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
Advancing the Mission
- Demonstrates knowledge of the primary mission of the University and Michigan Medicine
- Demonstrates awareness of the diversity of constituency groups and their roles and purposes and issues
Creative Problem Solving / Critical Thinking
- Demonstrated ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multitasking to solve moderate level problems
- Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo
- Demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems
Development of Self and Others
- Demonstrated initiative in participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement
- Demonstrated ability to apply new skills/knowledge to the job and serve as a training resource to lesser-experienced staff
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service
- Demonstrates the ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly
- Demonstrated focus on fulfilling expectations by seeking insight into customer needs and developing solutions that contribute for the customer
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business computing or a related field and/or the equivalent combination of education, certification or experience
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience in a related role requiring customer service, confidentiality, timeliness, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully design services and workflows
- Ability to use appropriate technical tools to perform day-to-day administration tasks, root-cause analysis and service restoration (such as backup, restore, failover, log interpretation and performance monitoring) for at least two of the following: SAN, NAS and enterprise backup solutions
- Strong Linux background
- Experience with deployment of storage systems using NFS v4 with Kerberos
- Experience with Spectrum Scale/GPFS, Lustre and EMC OneFS
- Experience with Object Storage or HDFS
- Experience with iSCSI, SMB/CIFS or SRP
- Understanding of protected data (HIPAA, CUI, etc.)
- Experience in a high-performance computing cluster environment
- Experience with LDAP and Active Directory in a storage service
- Experience providing IT support in an academic or research environment
- Experience with Cloud Storage APIs
- Experience with Globus GridFTP, Aspera, or FDT
- Experience with hierarchical storage management (HSM) systems such as SAM-QFS, Black Pearl, HPSS, Spectrum Archive etc, with object or tape backends
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
- May require working during non-business hours and on weekends
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required
- May require travel to various location on and off university campus
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is No. 20 in the annual Times Higher Education world ranking, 2019.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 2 U.S. public university, 28th overall in The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education announced 09/05/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2018-19, and ranked 20th among all institutions on the list, which was released 06/13/2018.
- The University of Michigan maintains No. 15 in Times Higher Education World University Rankings released 05/30/2018.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.