How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Center for the Management of Information for Safe and Sustainable Transportation (CMISST) group at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute is seeking a full-time statistician to join a multidisciplinary team focused on gathering, linking, disseminating, and analyzing transportation and related datasets, as well as developing new statistical techniques for analysis of linked datasets.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity
- Independently conduct statistical analyses of transportation data using established techniques.
- Provide guidance on appropriate statistical techniques to researchers.
- Perform statistical simulations to assess new statistical techniques.
- Document the methods and results of statistical analyses in reports, journal articles, presentations, and other visual media.
- Query large databases.
- Perform literature reviews, consult with faculty to define research questions and analytical design.
- Write, test, and implement programs to clean, merge, and analyze large, complex datasets.
- Create standardized and recoded variables to facilitate analyses using multiple datasets.
- Implement methods to ensure data quality.
- Participate as a team member in discussions on data analysis and improvement of data collection, quality of data analyses, programming and documentation.
- The ideal candidate will have completed a master’s degree in biostatistics, statistics or other related field.
- 1-3 years relevant experience in statistical data analysis, modeling, programming, and simulation.
- Expertise in programming and analysis with SAS or R.
- Familiarity with SQL.
- Familiarity with Python.
- Some experience with analysis of Big Data.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively document and communicate statistical methods.
- Experience with complex data structures and linkages between data sources
The CMISST group within UMTRI conducts research for a wide variety of industry, charitable foundation, and state and federal government sponsors. We have a substantial track record of obtaining funding beyond the posted appointment term and a strong commitment to the professional development and long-term retention of individuals who work in our group. CMISST staff and faculty work as team members on a variety of projects that change over time. The ideal candidate will enjoy doing more than one thing at a time, learning new skills, and working in a team setting.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers comprehensive benefits* including vacation and sick time, medical insurance including dental and vision, life insurance, retirement plan with matching contributions after one year of service, an expanded long-term disability option, continuing education reimbursement and several others.
*(Comprehensive benefits information: https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness)
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.