How to Apply
Applicants should combine and submit 1) a copy of their resume and 2) a 1-2 page cover letter that a) explains their interest in the position, and b) outlines their relevant skills and experience, and 3) names and contact details (email addresses and telephone numbers) for three references.
The coordinator will oversee two major conferences being held at the University of Michigan in summer 2019 (the 5th Annual FLARE Network Meeting, August 23-25) and early fall 2019 (the 2nd Annual Sustainability and Development Conference, October 11-14). The coordinator will be supervised by Professor Arun Agrawal (Professor, School for Environment and Sustainability), primarily, but will work with other event staff (part-time assistants, SEAS Communications staff, other faculty and/or post-docs, and student volunteers). This is a professional position that requires strategic thinking, cross-team collaboration and execution, and exceptional communication skills.
The FLARE Network meeting will host approximately 150 people for a 3-day scholarly engagement event, held at the Dana Building. The Sustainability and Development Conference will host between 600-800 people for a 4 day scholarly engagement event, held at the Dana Building, Mason Hall, and other UM buildings/venue spaces. Both events welcome international participants who have submitted abstracts and have had them accepted as presentations, as well as observers and keynote speakers. Much of the selection process (venues, caterers, presenters, speakers, etc.) will have already taken place by the time the coordinator begins the position.
The coordinator will play a leading role in the following:
- Event registration process (using CVENT platform);
- Program/agenda development;
- UM volunteer recruitment/management;
- Event presentation submission and organization processes;
- Hotel busing schedule management;
- Setting up UM technical support services in event rooms
- Communications (via email, CVENT, social media, phone) with all participants as well as UM units and caterer/hotel/service personnel
- Expense tracking
- Oversight of the complete day-to-day activities of the events.
The coordinator position will overlap with the current coordinator (SEAS IFRI Research Manager) for 1 month before taking the reins for the events. The position comes with the possibility of extension for a full year, to assist with other Sustainability and Development Initiative programs and activities.
SEAS is committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable environment that respects diverse experiences, promotes generous listening and communications, and discourages and restoratively respond to acts of discrimination, harassment, or injustice. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is deeply rooted? in? our values for a sustainable and just society.
- Graduate degree;
- Previous event coordination and communications experience;
- Strong communication and customer service skills;
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate within a team environment;
- Strong administrative and computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and Google. Other software experience and computer/data management skills are a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to independently diagnose, anticipate, and resolve program issues;
- Results-driven and detail-oriented, highly organized, in possession of strong
- anticipatory instincts and excellent follow through;
- Demonstrated ability to organize several projects and tasks with multiple deadlines;
- Possess professional standards of conduct including a strong sense of ethics and confidentiality;
- Ability to work long hours and weekends, during the events
This is a term-limited position from May 15- Nov 15, 2019. The incumbent in this role will recieve 50% of salary listed in this posting as this is a 6 month term-limited appointment
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include employee health and dental insurance.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.