How to Apply
These positions are open for Riverfront or First Street Residence Halls. To apply go to careers.umich.edu
The Front Desk Staff Member is essential to the success of the students in the residence hall. The staff in Housing and Residential Life will be committed to an educational approach in order to provide for the most meaningful experience for our residents. One of the key responsibilities of the front desk is that of safety and security.
Front Desk Staff Members are responsible for assisting residents and guests. In addition, front desk staff members are responsible for:
- Responding to inquiries at the desk and answering and responding to telephone calls
- Checking in and out available equipment
- Assisting in the check in and out of residents/guests
- Assist residents/guest with maintenance requests
- Sort and distribute residents’ mail
- Assist residents who are locked out
- Maintain a clean and organized front desk/lobby area
- Complete paperwork and administrative assignments in a timely manner, including but not limited to equipment check-out, emergency procedures, key issues, shift log, etc.
- Complete incident reports accurately and in a timely manner
- Keep supervisor informed about concerns, incidents, etc. regarding desk operations
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and trainings
Safety and Security
- Check in all guests
- Verify residents by checking MCard and verification prior to making new keys
- Confront policy violations that occur in the desk/lobby area
- Adhere to lockout procedures and Key Card distribution procedures
- Know emergency procedures and when it is appropriate to contact RAs on duty, DPS, Housing Office, etc.
- Participate and respond to fire alarm, severe weather, active shooter and other alarms or drills
Community Development/Customer Service
- Serve as an information source to residents, parents, guests
- Respect and maintain confidentiality
- Promote an appreciation and respect for diversity within the community
- Be a positive role model for residents and other staff members
- Support and implement the mission and goals of Housing and Residential Life
- Model ownership and pride in facility
- Maintain a professional demeanor and attitude at all times
- Foster relationships with individual residents and staff by remaining accessible and approachable
- Attend desk meetings during employment
- Role model and abide by all policies outlined in the Community Living Standards at the University of Michigan - Flint and the Student Code of Conduct
- Be available to work midnight, early morning, weekend and over breaks
- Be enrolled at UM-Flint
- Must work at least 16 hours a week (4, 4 hour shifts)
- Positive, punctual, and reliable
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA while employed. GPA is checked throughout employment
- Be in good social standing with the University as defined by the Student Code of Conduct and maintain good social standing during employment by following the Community Living Standards at the University of Michigan - Flint and the Student Code of Conduct.
- Previous experience in customer service setting
By submitting this application, you are waiving your privacy rights as outlined in the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and allowing staff within Housing and Residential Life to view your transcript in order to confirm your academic eligibility for this position.
By submitting this application, you are authorizing the Office of the Dean of Students to release your student conduct history to confirm your conduct eligibility for this position. This will remain in effect for the duration of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.