University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center
The University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center is a large multi-disciplinary clinic dedicated to providing high quality orthotic, prosthetic, and pedorthic services for adults and children. The 30,000 square foot facility is located at 2850 S. Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why join the Michigan Medicine Orthotics and Prosthetics Team?
As an Orthotic Fitter at Michigan Medicine, you will work within a diverse environment while fitting compression garments, prefabricated orthoses and post mastectomy prostheses to improve patients’ lives. You will possess the ability to provide clinical instruction to medical residents, prosthetic and orthotic trainees, and other medical professionals. The Orthotics and Prosthetics Center at Michigan Medicine is one of the few University based facilities in the country that offers comprehensive services and has been awarded the maximum
three-year accreditation by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics.
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Generous PTO program
- State of the art technology and equipment Tremendous team support
- Opportunity to conduct research relative to your work
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- You will measure and fit soft goods including breast prostheses and gradient compression garments, as well as off-the-shelf orthoses, which require minimal adjustments to meet individual patient requirements.
- You will request assistance from a certified orthotist when significant adjustments to orthoses are required, such as heating, bending, cutting.
- You will conduct preliminary fittings, final fittings and adjustments.
- You may operate machinery such as sewing machines and occasionally use others as required.
- You will train orthotic residents in soft-goods and post-mastectomy breast prosthesis fitting procedures.
- A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Ability to work in highly computerized environment.
- Exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff.
- Enforce a high standard of personal and professional conduct; possess excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills; and proven ability to be compatible with a diverse population.
- Effectively work within a multidisciplinary team, handling multiple responsibilities in an energizing and fun environment.
- Demonstrate prioritization skills, proficient computer and keyboarding skills, and excellent attendance.
- Completion of manufacturer courses and/or has previous experience and is eligible for or certified by the American Board of Certification as an Orthotic Fitter and/or Mastectomy Fitter.
- This Classification requires registration, certification or licensure with the appropriate agency as identified on the Primary Source Verification Matrix.
- Experience with use of an electronic health record system, preferably EPIC or OPIE.
TheUM Orthotics and Prosthetics Center in Ann Abor, MI, will be your primaryworksite. Occasional travel to offsite locations may benecessary for meetings and other department needs.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. Non certified individuals are encouraged to apply however will be required to pursue CFo and CFm certification, with financial support from the department.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.