How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the potential and impact of educational technology. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. The Office of Academic Innovation is seeking a Senior Web Designer to play a leading role in the software development team in the Office of Academic Innovation (AI).
This new position, focused on application design will operate within the dynamic, collaborative team environment within Academic Innovation. Its primary focus will be envisioning the future of learning experiences by designing and implementing the visuals, interactions and experience for Michigan Online and supporting projects.
Academic Innovation applies design and development expertise in the creation and iteration of cutting edge digital education tools and technologies to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond. The designer selected for this position will collaborate closely with other members of Academic Innovation including software developers, behavioral scientists, and researchers. It will include oversight of graphic design and user experience interns.
You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver. You lead by listening, by collaborating, and by encouraging. You think impractically before layering in constraints. You challenge yourselves and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and spending time to get a detail right before moving on. You think in terms of efficiency and sustainability by reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your deliverables. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact while designing solutions to identifiable challenges. You care deeply about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Determine application level interface design and interactions
- Create highly polished graphical and visual design assets
- Produce designs, prototypes and graphics for web application projects
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to conceptualize and iterate on application interfaces
- Coordinate with project level user researcher to ensure application usability
- Analyze and advise on design choices faced by AI project teams
- Interact with stakeholders as needed, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Conduct competitive analyses of existing product domains and design approaches
- Implement application designs using HTML/CSS
- Employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution.
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop overall product design
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years experience in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with brand development and design, (typography, color theory, logo design)
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, and similar design tools
- Experience implementing all stages of software design (User Flow Diagrams, Wireframes, Mockups, CSS/HTML)
- Experience applying methodologies of user experience design and research to web and mobile interfaces
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working with and designing for dynamic content
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors (LESS, Sass, SCSS, etc..)
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices
- Familiarity with templating languages or frameworks such as Haml, Jinja, Django, etc...
- Have participated in the successful development of early stage software projects from the idea phase, through scaling up for eventual launch, and into sustained support
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.