How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. The Office of Academic Innovation is seeking a Senior User Experience Designer to play a leading role in the design team at the Office of Academic Innovation (AI). Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact, collaborating closely with software developers, behavioral scientists, learning experience designers and researchers.
Academic Innovation applies design and development expertise in the creation of cutting edge digital education tools and technologies to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond. This new position, focused on interface design and interaction will operate within the collaborative team environment of Academic Innovation. The responsibilities will focus on envisioning the future of educational technology by designing and implementing the visuals, interactions and experience for applications supporting Online Learning Experiences created by the Office of Academic Innovation.
You are an intellectually curious, creative problem solver. You lead by listening, by collaborating, and by encouraging. You think impractically before layering in constraints. You challenge yourselves and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and spending time to get a detail right before moving on. You think in terms of efficiency and sustainability by reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your deliverables. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact while designing solutions to identifiable challenges. You care deeply about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Determine application level interface design and interactions
- Oversee project level user researcher to ensure comprehension and usability
- Create highly polished graphical and visual design assets
- Produce designs, prototypes and graphics for web application projects
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to conceptualize and iterate on application interfaces
- Analyze design choices faced by AI project teams and make recommendations, based on in-depth reviews and analysis of available options
- Interact with stakeholders as needed, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Conduct competitive analyses of existing product domains and design approaches
- Implement application designs using HTML/CSS/JS
- Employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution.
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop overall product design
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3+ years experience in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with brand development and design, (typography, color theory, logo design)
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, and similar design tools
- Experience implementing all stages of software design (User Flow Diagrams, Wireframes, Mockups, CSS/HTML/JS)
- Experience applying methodologies of user experience design and research to web and mobile interfaces
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Expertise with CSS and CSS Preprocessors (LESS, Sass, SCSS, etc..)
- Experience working with and designing for dynamic content
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices
- Familiarity with templating languages or frameworks such as Haml, Jinja, Django, etc...
- Have participated in the successful development of early stage software projects from the idea phase, through scaling up for eventual launch, and into sustained support
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.