How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Help the University of Michigan reimagine the potential and impact of educational technology. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. The Office of Academic Innovation is seeking a Web Designer to play a key role in the software design team for the Office of Academic Innovation (AI).
Academic Innovation applies design and development expertise in the creation and iteration of cutting edge digital education tools and technologies to enable innovative learning practices and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
This new position, focused on application design will operate within the dynamic, collaborative team environment within Academic Innovation. Their responsibilities will focus on the design and interactions of applications supporting Online Learning Experiences created by the Office of Academic Innovation
The designer selected for this position will collaborate closely with other members of the Academic Innovation Team including software developers, behavioral scientists, learning experience designers and researchers. It will include oversight of graphic design and user experience interns.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Produce designs, prototypes and graphics for web application projects
- Create highly polished graphical and visual design assets
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to conceptualize and iterate on application interfaces
- Analyze design choices faced by AI project teams and make recommendations, based on in-depth reviews and analysis of available options
- Interact with stakeholders as needed, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Conduct competitive analyses of existing product domains and design approaches
- Implement application designs using HTML/CSS
- Employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution.
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop overall product design
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years experience in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with brand development and design, (typography, color theory, logo design)
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, and similar design tools
- Experience implementing all stages of software design (User Flow Diagrams, Wireframes, Mockups, CSS/HTML)
- Experience applying methodologies of user experience design and research to web and mobile interfaces
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working with and designing for dynamic content
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors (LESS, Sass, SCSS, etc..)
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices
- Familiarity with templating languages or frameworks such as Haml, Jinja, Django, etc...
- Have participated in the successful development of early stage software projects from the idea phase, through scaling up for eventual launch, and into sustained support
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.