Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
The University of Michigan is looking for a creative and experienced developer to help us reimagine the future of education. Join the Office of Academic Innovation at the world’s great public research university. Academic Innovation is a collaborative multi-disciplinary team that focuses on applying modern technologies, languages and approaches. Be part of a motivated group that focuses on creativity and impact.
The developer selected for this position will play an important role in advancing and exploring the future of software innovation at the University of Michigan. This role reports to the Associate Director for Software Development & User Experience Design. Their responsibilities will focus on the growth and development of applications supporting Online Learning Experiences created by the Office of Academic Innovation. As part of their work they will lead development on important projects, collaborate with a multi-disciplinary community and build software to support innovative learning environments and personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
Are a motivated expert who enjoys implementing solutions to real world problems. You value abstraction and reuse. You architect your projects to address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You know how to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration, efficiency and sustainability, pursuing automation and reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your releases. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen and when to lead. You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about the usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Note: This is a three year, term-limited appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Lead project level application development, by directing and reviewing the work of project developers and designers
- Assist DevOps Engineers in determining and implementing deployment solutions
- Direct QA resources to ensure fully tested and high quality version releases
- Maintain technical familiarity and expertise with the evolution of mainstream and emerging technologies
- Advise on technical choices and direction for the Academic Innovation portfolio.
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, at the University of Michigan
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 3 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working in a multi-platform, multi-OS environment in a cross-functional product team
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience working with Python or Ruby and an associated web application framework (e.g.: Flask, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specifications and create working, valid HTML5/CSS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Experience configuring and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with emerging NoSQL platforms (e.g.: MongoDB, CouchDB, Redis)
- Experience collaborating with clients and end users to translate requests and problems into software solutions.
- Experience working as a mentor and technical resource for interns or more junior colleagues
NOTE: This is a three-year, term-limited position.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel. TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.