How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position. Include the cover letter as the first page of your resume. Please describe how your skills and experience directly relate to the specific duties and required qualifications for this position. Please also include your past experience as a web developer and include a link to any website that you have developed in the past. As part of the interview, you might be asked to take on a screening task.
At the University of Michigan, we are seeking a highly-motivated skilled full-time frontend developer to join a team working on a cutting-edge technology focused on a next-generation search engine.
As a research lab on campus, we are seeking a skilled web developer to work on innovative and exciting interfaces for a research project with real users to:
- Manage (and assign work to) other frontend developers on the team
- Review other developer's code and ensure high standards of coding in the team
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Assure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS and a good understanding of asynchronous request handling, and partial page updates
- 1+ year of experience with responsive web design
- Strong experience working as a web developer
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them across desktop and mobile devices
- Proficient understanding of GIT
- Good problem-solving skills and reasonable understanding of UX issues and
- Ability to work and communicate well with other team members
40 hours/week, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm preferred (willing to flex to 30 hours/week within M-F 8am-5pm schedule).
Position is expected to last 3-9 months, but may be extended according to funding and performance.
This position pays $35-50/hr (based on experience) + health benefits (assuming a minimum of 30 hours a week for at least 90 days).
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
Temporary Staffing Services is posting and screening candidates on behalf of the hiring University unit.
Selected candidate must hold valid work authorization that supports the terms and conditions of this employment. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
This temporary job opening will be posted for a minimum of two calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.