The Michigan Center for Translational Pathology has an open position for a temporary, full-time Research Laboratory Technician. We are seeking an energetic, highly motivated individual to join our cancer biology and therapeutic group. The successful candidate must be capable of thriving in a fast-paced dynamic environment. The candidate will work as part of a team screening small molecule inhibitors and performing functional validation for targeted therapy of cancer in vitro and in vivo. The candidate will perform routine laboratory experimental procedures in one or more areas of work under the supervision of the Principal Investigator and/or higher level research staff. Individual will perform these diverse duties as a member of a team of investigators.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Routine cell culture maintenance: passaging of adherent and suspension cells, freezing and recovering cell lines, and keep good record for cell line bank.
- In vitro screening of small molecule: determine and calculation IC50.
- Functional assay: perform protein and RNA extraction from cells and tumor tissue, western blot, qPCR.
- Histology preparation: process fixed tissue, paraffin embedding, and microtome section. Prepare slides for confocal microscopy, cells for histological staining.
- In vivo work: restraint of mice, ear tagging, tumor measuring, drug preparation.
- BS degree in biology or similar field, fresh graduates are welcome.
- Basic mouse handling skills are desired.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent documentation skills for research results.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn and implement novel experimental techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of laboratory safety and ability to work carefully with potentially harmful agents.
- Research lab experience.
- Animal handling experience.
Michigan Center for Translational Pathology Cancer Center
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.