How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The hiring process will measure the following competencies:
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Candidates will be required to submit a video presentation answering pre-screening questions through a third party vendor (no cost to applicant).
Assure an organized and safe environment for patients, families and visitors. Enhance the hospital experience for patients, families and visitors by performing guest relation functions that assure the highest standard of service. Appropriately represents the hospital to all audiences in a way that promotes the concept of patient and family centered care.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation and drug screening.
The University's Michigan Medicine system improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Act as the initial greeter for all patients/visitors entering Main Front/Lobby, ED and all subsequent floors.
- Create and issue hospital ID badges for all family members, visitors and vendors, while screening according to security protocols to verify authorization to visit.
- Offer assistance for way-finding, parking validation, deliveries and other requested information including information regarding hospital and community services for patients, family members and visitors.
- Uphold visitation and other applicable policies, procedures, guidelines and restrictions of Michigan Medicine while being respectful and courteous to a diverse audience.
- Monitor the immediate environment and report any suspicious activity or individuals to Security.
- Provide additional support for the infant security monitoring system.
- Coordinate with other departments and participate as needed to provide a safe, comfortable environment that meets the needs of the patient, family members and visitors.
- Assist visitors/families during emergencies which may include fire, natural disasters and patient/family situations.
- Orient and assist families and visitors in waiting room areas on the unit while maintaining a general orderliness of the waiting room areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school, supplemented by classes or training in assertiveness, customer service, conflict management, criminal justice, and/or communication.
- One to four years of work experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard business software applications.
- Communicates effectively in ways that enhance productivity and builds respectful relationships. Demonstrates excellent communication and information technology skills.
- Ability to relate work and job purpose to Michigan Medicine mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Views others as customers and understands customer requirements (both inside and outside the Health System); anticipates customer needs; gives high priority to customer satisfaction.
- Ability to form give-and-take relationships which enhance understanding and mutual respect, acknowledge the needs and feelings of others being aware of how one's own behavior affects others, focus on the positive aspects of conflict and values differences.
- Weighs alternative actions and makes appropriate decisions that reflect the facts of a situation.
- Effectively identifies and manages differing viewpoints, sources of potential disagreement and customer/staff dissatisfaction, and seeks constructive approaches to resolving difficult situations.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and staff to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Works well under pressure, effectively handling large volumes of customers and balancing multiple priorities and tasks.
- Interacts effectively and builds respectful relationships within and between units and among individuals.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to move throughout the building to assist patients and families.
This is a uniformed position required to maintain standards of appearance by following the DPSS uniformed personnel dress code.
- Associate's degree or higher in a related field and previous healthcare, security and/or customer experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with health system specific computer applications.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.