- Prepare instructional materials to seamlessly shift from math attitudes and perceptions, Laws of Algebra and Number behaviors, and mathematical thinking the course of 5 weeks.
- Responsible for creating a Pre and Post assessment for data purposes.
- Provide students with weekly feedback, meet with key Promise Scholar staff concerning student progress.
- Provide constructive feedback for individualized student growth in key challenge areas.
- Adapt pedagogical approaches as needed to ensure student engagement and participation.
- Address and refer student disciplinary, crises, and personal issues as needed to campus offices.
- Maintain professional relationships and boundaries with students.
- Bachelor’s degree required; prior teaching experience in Math or related subjects.
- Must exercise a strengths-based approach in being sensitive, respectful, and understanding of the need of economically and academically disadvantaged, ethnically diverse students.
- Must possess the commitment and stamina to participate constructively in potentially stressful interactions and situations during the summer program.
- Awareness of student conduct and academic integrity policies.
- Can fully commit to the time requirements of the role during Summer 2019 (July 8 – August 8).
- Prior teaching in college level Algebra and/or ACT and/or SAT Math instruction.
- Demonstrated commitment in serving underrepresented students.
- Prior experience addressing student conduct and conflict mitigation situations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to think critically and problem solve swiftly and responsibly.
- Passionate in supporting student persistence.
- Offers are contingent on background check clearance and academic status verification.
- This is a grant funded position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.