How to Apply
All applicants must submit a cover letter and resume addressing qualifications for the position. In order for the Career Portal system to accept a cover letter, please include a cover letter as the first page of your resume document. The cover letter should specifically address your interest in this position and outline particular skills and experience directly related to this position.
We are looking for a motivated and creative human resources generalist to administer, organize and conduct a variety of educational programs while contributing to the overall efforts of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) HR team to support the ISR community.
Training and Career Development – 40%
Collaborate with a variety of internal stakeholders to identify organizational training needs. Develop curricula, and coordinate training logistics. Research virtual professional development opportunities. Work with ISR HR colleagues to develop and facilitate training content and materials across a variety of human resources topics. Assist in the development of metrics to assess training effectiveness.
- Assist with new employee hiring processes and the creation of ISR New Employee Orientation
- Map out training plans and schedules to design programs outsourced or internal
- Coordinate and assist with the education and training for diversity initiatives
- Research virtual professional development opportunities
- Assist with supervisor training and coordinate the development of materials
- Maintain records of training activities and employee progress and monitor effectiveness of training/educational programs
- Keep abreast of industry best practices and recommend appropriate professional and career development programs
General HR Guidance – 30%
Respond to general HR inquiries from the community by interpreting policies and procedures and providing guidance as required. Coordinate accurate transaction processing with ISR community and UM SSC. Functionally supervise and perform transaction processing.
- Respond to general HR inquiries from the community, interpret policies and procedures, and provide advice
- Develop HR processing expertise and train others on the proper protocols
- Assist with the recruitment and interview processes including the development of training
- Assist in developing sourcing techniques to identify and engage passive candidates
- Schedule and attend career fairs to generate qualified applicants
- Research best practices and strategies for a variety of HR solutions, programs, and procedures
- Assist in the development of marketing materials for programs
- Assist in climate engagement activities (focus groups/surveys)
- Analyze and report metrics related to a variety of programs
- Represent HR by attending a variety of meetings internally and externally
HR Administration and Coordination – 30%
Assist in the development of engagement activities, marketing materials and sourcing techniques to assist with implementation of HR activities and programs. Recommend best practices in support of HR strategic solutions. Become familiar with the workings of ISR strategic initiatives to assist implementation and program administration.
- Coordinate ISR leave of absence (LOA) programs including medical, parental and FMLA processes
- Coach, counsel, and educate managers and employees on UM leaves of absence programs
- Assist in ADA coordination
- Document and coordinate communication related to LOA programs
- Liaison with UM departments and areas in the administration of LOA programs
- Review and process a variety of faculty and staff personnel transactions
- Assist with performance management process
- Represent ISR HR on search committees and offer assistance with recruitment and retention as required
- Represent ISR HR on committees and UM work groups as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in human resources
- Experience with coordinating large scale training sessions
- Experience identifying training needs and developing professional development programs
- Attention to detail and experience with training presentations
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Forward-thinking, detailed-oriented and personable with excellent presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and proven time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple competing priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Demonstrated focus on excellent customer service and professional communication skills
- Progressively responsible experience in human resources
- Experience with leave management programs
- Previous experience in recruiting a diverse applicant pool
- Experience with Federal and State laws
- Experience with programming that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience performing transactional work in an HR information system, preferably Oracle based
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.