How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. The letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If you are or have been a U-M student, please include the name of a faculty member who knows your work.
The Bentley Historical Library collects the records for and encourages the study of the history of both the state of Michigan and the University of Michigan. Its collections and responsibilities are strongest in the 19th and 20th century United States. The Library seeks research assistance in a variety of areas of American history in that period, on topics both within and outside of the collections of the Library. Research projects will require work with primary sources – including paper, microfilm, and digital records, some in 19th century cursive handwriting – and the production of research reports and/or historical interpretations of those sources.
Primary responsibilities will be to use independent judgment and initiative in designing and executing historical research projects in a variety of topics in the history of the 19th and 20th century United States.
Work responsibilities will include:
- Independent design and execution of historical research projects
- Collection and interpretation of primary and secondary sources in American history
- Preparation of bibliographies, research reports and historical interpretations based on these sources
- Preparing and editing a variety of texts for publication: writing, editing, indexing, proofing, etc.
- B.A. degree or equivalent academic training in history or related discipline with some preference for background in American history
- Demonstrated experience in conducting historical research evidenced in writing samples or faculty references
- Excellent writing skills
- Able to move up to 30-40 pounds and to occasionally ascend/descend ladders and/or stairs
- Local residency
Master's or doctoral degree or equivalent in history or a related discipline.
- Term-limited position: The duration of the appointment is currently nine months, with possibility of extension.
- Applicants must be available to work full time during the academic term.
- Compensation for this position is based on a full time rate of $47,000 for a 12-month appointment and includes a full benefits package.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.