How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experiences that directly relate to this position.
The Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) orients its four reporting units (admissions, financial aid, new student programs, and the registrar) to lead U-M’s enrollment functions in a student-centered effort. The office’s focus is on U-M’s core values of diversity, excellence, affordability, and access. The OEM Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) team supports this mission by interpreting and representing the U-M brand value to all stakeholders, including prospective undergraduate students and parents, current students and parents, faculty, and staff.
We seek a web designer/administrator to support the IMC team and OEM units in the use of web technologies, website management, and Slate CRM. The work helps build relationships with U-M audiences, and effectively engage prospective, admitted, and enrolled students, their families, and external stakeholders.
This position is a new addition to the team, partnering with the existing web administrator to provide support and will serve as a backup CRM Slate administrator upon hire. As CRM initiatives and needs expand over the coming years, effort in this area may also increase.
Who We Are
Headed by the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management, the Office of Enrollment Management (OEM) provides campus-wide leadership in executing the strategic recruitment, admission, enrollment, records management and student financial support functions for the university. OEM is committed to envisioning, creating, and sustaining an effort that will lead to the optimal academic, student, and staff experience through the development and implementation of data-driven strategies, collaborative partnerships, and sustained investments in technological resources and a talented and capable workforce. Our reporting units work strategically and synergistically in partnership with the undergraduate schools and colleges, leveraging expertise and best practices across the Offices of Undergraduate Admissions, New Student Programs, Financial Aid, and Registrar.
OEM is committed to pursuing deliberate efforts to ensure that our campus is a place where differences are welcomed, different perspectives are respectfully heard and where every individual feels a sense of belonging and inclusion. We know that by building a critical mass of diverse groups on campus including staff, students and creating a vibrant climate of inclusiveness, we can more effectively leverage the resources of diversity to advance our collective capabilities.
For more information about OEM including our diversity, equity and inclusion strategic plan visit the Enrollment Management website.
65% Websites and digital newsletters
- Guide and collaborate on audience research (UX/UI) for development of new OEM websites and other digital platforms.
- Apply solid knowledge and skills as a Drupal 7/8 and Wordpress Content Management System technician with primary responsibility for maintenance of OEM websites, including developing custom modules as needed.
- Identify, recommend and deploy changes in CMS templates and website/webpage structures in response to audience needs, and to ensure a high level of accessibility compliance.
- Collaborate with the multimedia designers to enhance websites by applying text, images, sound, animations and video, as well as design elements, to make sure they comply with W3C accessibility standards.
- Create effective web forms and landing pages for online business transactions, including support for paid advertising campaigns.
- Support the admissions web administrator in creating event registration pages for admitted and prospective student events, as needed.
- Test content on multiple browsers and operating systems to ensure optimum functionality over multiple systems and platforms, including mobile devices.
- Create and manage web authoring accounts for OEM content managers to allow access for publishing sites to the web servers.
- Co-manage Mandrill and MailChimp accounts for email and e-newsletters.
- Liaise with vendors for Drupal and Wordpress site development and maintenance, including updates, upgrades and patches.
- In concert with the Project Manager, develop a documented process for regular and coordinated website reviews to ensure that the content is current, accurate, and aligned with OEM messaging.
- Establish, communicate and maintain web publishing procedures and guidelines for OEM content managers to facilitate optimal website design, navigation, security, functionality, accessibility and compliance with university standards.
15% Slate CRM marketing campaigns
- Serve as a member of the OEM CRM team to guide and direct staff in the effective use of Slate.
- Act as a backup for admissions event registration pages and forms in Slate, ensuring that they correctly write the data back to the CRM database.
- Act as a backup for admissions email creation and distribution.
- Implement future marketing campaigns in support of freshmen and transfer recruitment and retention strategies.
- Implement new communications opportunities offered by Slate, such as text messaging, where appropriate.
- Troubleshoot and collaborate with the CRM team to resolve issues.
10% Google Analytics
- Regularly compile, analyze, and report user statistics to identify opportunities for improvement in website/page use, using Google Analytics and mapping tools like HotJar.
- Provide guidance and recommendations toward continuous website improvement, and the strategic use of the web to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
4% Visitor’s Center
- Design and manage digital signage in Four Winds Interactive.
- Collaborate with Neighborhood IT for hardware configuration and maintenance.
- Oversee periodic removal, re-installation, and maintenance of media wall and its 19 iPads, display monitor, and HP Mini.
2% Current and emerging technologies
- Identify, recommend, and employ the use of current and emerging web applications to effectively and appropriately communicate with and among Gen Z audiences and their influencers.
- Identify, recommend, and implement cloud solutions for business processes.
- Co-represent OEM to internal IT stakeholders, and participate in U-M IT communities, to enable adoption of new marketing communications technologies.
2% Assist with Graphic Design
- Edit and update graphic design files for the web or email on an as-needed basis.
2% Professional Development and Contributions
- Attend professional development conferences and participate in professional organizations.
- Monitor journals, publications and online resources to identify new developments in the field, and advance knowledge and understanding of the Content Management System, ADA compliance, and digital management.
- Serve on committees and/or lead project teams as needed for web administration in OEM.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in web administration and development. Additional years of experience is preferred and required for senior level.
- Experience managing and developing content, navigation, usability, and accessibility of responsive interactive web sites.
- Experience with Drupal 7 and 8 and Wordpress Content Management Systems.
- Experience with Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with Four Winds Interactive, or ability to learn.
- Familiarity with Slate CRM, or ability to learn.
- Familiarity with MailChimp and Mandrill, or ability to learn.
- Excellent communication, critical thinking , and organizational skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize while working under tight deadlines.
- Eagerness for continual learning and a positive work attitude.
- Collaborative approach to problem-solving.
This position is posted at the senior level with the option to underfill. Applicants with two to five years of experience are encouraged to apply. Starting salary will also be dependent upon level and experience.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.