How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Mcity runs several laboratories and C/AV (Connected / Automated Vehicle) research programs. As part of this we collect, store, classify, and assist with the analysis of a wide variety of data, working closely with our industry members and university researchers. Depending on your skills and interests, you will have the opportunity to learn, build and scale all the components of our software architecture, including:
Web based data analysis tools
Data processing pipelines
Hardware for automation and data collection
As a member of the Mcity engineering team, your typical week will include:
10% Project Planning - Discussion of requirements with the team and story creation for them.
5% Project Management - Our daily team stand-up (we are a small personable team).
15% Design - Assisting with design of new or improving existing software, usually in collaboration with the System Architect and other engineers.
50% Development - Quiet time for coding, query, analysis, testing.
5% Support - Interaction with customers – this includes industry members as well as the U-M research community.
10% Mentoring - A chance to learn something new and share your knowledge with others, serving in a mentorship capacity for student and junior team members.
5% Other - Assist with other activities supporting Mcity and their members.
Who We Are
Mcity is a public-private partnership formed at U-M to transform global mobility by dramatically improving transportation safety, sustainability, and accessibility. Mcity draws on the broad expertise of U-M and its partners to address the host of legal, political, social, regulatory, economic, urban planning, and business issues that must be addressed to devise and implement practical systems that take advantage of emerging technologies. Mcity also provides testing at our one-of-a-kind proving ground, simulating the complexities of an urban environment, and through on-road vehicle deployments in Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan, working with our partners including the U-M Transportation Research Institute.
We are looking for an experienced software developer to design and build the software systems used at Mcity. If you enjoy building simple, visually pleasing, and intuitive web applications for non-technical audiences, consider joining us!
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering, with at least 3 years of relevant experience building similar types of systems.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience processing large datasets
- Experience writing web applications
- Experience with RDBMS for ad-hoc querying
- Experience writing Unit and Integration tests
- Knowledge of connected and/or automated vehicle technologies
- Knowledge of vehicle data acquisition systems
- Passionate about future mobility systems
- Demonstrated experience with Python or similar programming languages
- Demonstrated experience with Vue.js or similar web frameworks
- Demonstrated experience with AWS, Heroku, or other cloud providers
- Demonstrated experience with machine learning toolkits
- Demonstrated experience with microcontrollers like Raspberry PI, BeagleBone, and Arduino
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.