How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is seeking candidates for the position of director of the U-M Health System Children’s Center (HSCC). HSCC is one of three programs on the U-M Ann Arbor campus that together provide early education and care for approximately 500 children (ages three months to five years) of faculty, staff and students from all over the world. HSCC focuses on services to UM Michigan Medicine employees, providing excellent services for nearly thirty years.
We seek a dynamic, inspirational, knowledgeable leader who will effectively collaborate with staff and families to continue the center’s evolution. Knowledge of and experience with multiple early childhood approaches to curriculum are desired, as is the ability to bring large numbers of stakeholders to consensus on program direction. This is a great opportunity for an individual who seeks to break ground in early childhood education through partnerships with staff, families, university colleagues and community partners.
We seek a director who will be committed to the mission of a top academic and research University, will support and contribute to the goal of achieving greater diversity at the University and will be able to work effectively with the many constituencies in a university environment. U-M seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people who live and work at the university and in the community.
HSCC is nationally accredited through the National Association for the Education of Young Children. (NAEYC). The director reports to the senior director of Work-Life Programs in University Human Resources.
Early Childhood Education:
Administration, Operations, and Budget:
- BA or BS in Early Childhood Education or related field meeting State of Michigan Licensing requirements; Master’s degree preferred.
- Preferred minimum five years of experience in administration of a children’s center plus a minimum of three years of early childhood teaching. Prefer experience administering a large center.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices for education of infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Experience with Child Care Center Licensing procedures.
- Experience with National Accreditation.
- Deep expertise in and implementation of best practices in early childhood education.
- Developing a positive organizational culture.
- Creating and managing sound business practices.
- Providing effective leadership, training and supervision to create highly effective performance in individuals and teams.
- Thinking strategically about opportunities and challenges.
- Assessing complex, sensitive issues and making sound judgments to resolve them.
- Providing effective communication, both verbal and written, to multiple constituencies.
- Using computer technology to enhance program, communication and business processes.
- Organizing and prioritizing work, executing multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Teaching and interacting with young children and their families
- Experience with infant/toddler care.
- Handling emergency situations calmly and effectively.
- Working effectively with colleagues to create a strong early childhood organization at U-M.
- Responding respectfully and effectively to people of all cultures, in a manner that upholds the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality.
Salary will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the individual selected; University of Michigan has an excellent benefit package.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.