How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 170746 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 170747
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assessment of Medical/Psychiatric Status
- Obtains a relevant health and medical/psychiatric history
- Performs a physical examination based on age and history
- Conducts preventive screening procedures based on age and history
- Identifies actual and potential health problems and needs
- Updates and records changes in health status
Assists the attending psychiatrist in carrying out daily rounds and is able to proxy for him/her in leading rounds in event of absence of attending.
Formulates the appropriate psychiatric/medical differential diagnoses based on the history, physical examination and clinical findings
Identifies psychiatric and medical needs of the individual, and associated needs of the patient's family, as a result of the evaluation of the collected data
Development of a Treatment Plan
Establishes priorities and a mutually acceptable plan of care to maximize the health potential of the individual patient. This includes delegated medical functions as designated in clinical privileges. NP/PA is responsible for overseeing and monitoring the completion of treatment plans for the patients on the team. Interventions are based upon established priorities and are consistent with the appropriate plan of care.
The interventions may include:
Conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests
Prescribing pharmacologic agents
Prescribing non -pharmacologic therapies
Providing relevant patient education
Making appropriate referrals to other health professionals and community agencies
Continuous Quality Improvement and Research
Supports institutional and unit goals for quality improvement
Participates in the quality improvement activities. Participates in systematic reviews of records and/or treatment plans for the purposes of peer review, self-evaluation, outcome monitoring and/or quality improvement
Supports research by defining research questions, participating and/or conduction research in practice setting
Incorporates research findings into clinical practice
Participates as a team member in the provision of medical and health care interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care
Promotes a safe and healthful environment through compliance with regulatory standards and other measures.
Education and Professional Development
Participates in the education of health care professionals and students through mentoring, in services, seminars and formal presentation
Participates in professional activities that contribute to the advancement of nursing or PA practice, such as participation in professional associations and publication
Develops own clinical knowledge and skills through continuing education programs, course work and reading professional literature
Participates in own performance evaluation and establishment of plan for self-development and learning.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services job family under number 170747 for Physician Assistants.
Nursing Specific Info
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Required Qualifications (NP):
- Minimum of one-year Psychiatric Emergency Services experience or similar relevant experience in a psychiatric setting
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as a Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is preferred, however Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner certification would be considered with Psychiatric Emergency Service NP experience.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
Required Qualifications (PA):
- Minimum of one-year Psychiatric Emergency Services experience or similar experience as a PA and recent prior experience in a psychiatric setting.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
** Under Michigan Law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of employment or transfer for this position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Psychiatric Emergency Services Nurse Practitioner experience
- Staff RN inpatient psych experience
- Experience as NP in ambulatory psych
- Experience as NP in medical setting
- Psychiatric Emergency Services PA experience
- Inpatient Psych experience as Physician Assistant
- Experience as PA in ambulatory psych
- Experience as PA in medical setting
- Experience with medication management in psychotropic prescriptions
- Experience as primary therapist
- Familiarity w/ various therapy modalities (CBT, DBT, motivational interviewing, crisis intervention & BT, etc.)
- Experience in research
- Demonstrated ability to complete history and physical examination; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; responsive to patient and family preferences and needs.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care. Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills that result in effective information exchange and collaboration with patients, families and health professionals.
- Demonstrated excellence as team player.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize the electronic medical record for accessing information, recording evaluations and progress notes and for ordering appropriate medications and tests.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with clinical care across multiple patient care services and to communicate assertively as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrated commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to diversity.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and patient service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, problem solve, and delegate effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative practice.
- Demonstrated leadership in a professional healthcare setting and other professional activities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative Psychiatric Emergency Services team.
Location: Psychiatric Emergency Services
This job posting is for a Michigan Medicine Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
This job opening is for a Temporary NP position with Psychiatric Emergency Services
* Please note that these positions do not qualify for University of Michigan benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level.
These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail email@example.com. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The Department of Nursing, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.