How to Apply
A cover letter and three writing samples are required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We strongly suggest that the writing samples you submit include a sample of writing for publication, oral delivery and newsletters, and at least one sample of persuasive writing or writing for promotional or marketing purposes.
The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion (OHEI) Communication Specialist will be a member of both the UMHS Department of Communication (DOC) and the OHEI. This role will serve as the point-of-contact for all communication activities within OHEI, including support of the executive and administrative leaders. This position will execute effective employee communication and support change management initiatives across the academic medical center. The work will be aligned with the strategies of OHEI and the broader campus-wide DE&I initiative.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Provide all communication support for OHEI and DE&I activities, based on strategic direction and priorities.
- Support leadership and executive positioning by determining effective ways to motivate all levels of employees. Collaborate with other key stakeholders to positively impact engagement, culture, and organizational effectiveness.
- Research, write and implement communication plans designed to impact behavior and actions of faculty and staff.
- Develop persuasive letters, stories, profiles, news and announcements for distribution to faculty and staff based on project needs.
- Translate technical or strategic topics into easily consumed, appropriate communication tailored to various internal audiences.
- Position and reinforce UMHS as an employer of choice through select, intentional content reflecting our workplace, work environment and working relationships with colleagues.
- Increase employee engagement and identify and train champions for internal programs designed to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Manage vendors who provide creative support for employee-directed initiatives, including but not limited to designers and printers, freelance writers, marketing specialist, speechwriters – as needed.
- Leverage technology and digital and social media to optimize and increase innovative communication approaches to effectively reach all levels of staff.
- Manage and maintain OHEI website content with input from OHEI team members.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of OHEI and DEI&I within the academic medical center. Serve as a communication coordinator to collaborate on specific special projects across departments.
- Work with other constituents in the Department of Communication to improve relationships across units of the UMHS.
- Engage with university DE&I stakeholders as needed to ensure campus-wide consistency.
- Develop, track and monitor communication measurements that are strategic, measurable, timely and realistic.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in communication-related field; journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or related field
- Five to seven years professional experience in public relations, promotion, marketing or communication in a professional setting
- Must be comfortable in a multi-layered organization with complex relationship and executive reporting
- Proven experience generating client satisfaction and developing solutions in complex matrixed organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with solid understanding of digital media
- Experience maintaining electronic communication vehicles, websites, blogs, social media
- Direct experience in a health care and/or academic medical center
- Experience supporting diversity or culture change initiatives
- Experience with content management systems, particularly Drupal
- Fluency in languages in addition to English a plus
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate's education and experience.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.