To provide telephone (Aspect) support services to an outpatient clinical practice; schedule and coordinate appointments in MiChart (Cadence), on telephones and during Check in and check out processes. Complete financial documents and collect cash/credit card payments from patients using established guidelines. Determine the necessity within established guidelines for immediate attention for patient conditions of an emergent nature.
Work with patients/families, physicians and other team members to facilitate return visits, referral requests and the scheduling of specialty services. Handle incoming phone calls with regards to the Brighton Health Center practice, their physicians, scheduling, referrals, prescription refills and prior authorizations. Apply knowledge of department and utilize understanding of other departments within U of M Health System.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- High School diploma or GED
- 0 – 2 years of experience, including some customer service experience preferred
- Communication/Telephone Skills-adheres to established telephone guidelines
- Demonstrates good customer service telephone skills
- Ability to explain basic insurance coverage and co-pays to patients and share outstanding balance information to the patient and/or guarantor
- Position requires individual to be flexible and must exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty and staff over the telephone.
- Seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues
- Show willingness to learn new ways(changes) to accomplish work
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste
- Great Attendance
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Organized a self-starter and motivated with strong problem solving skills.
- Able to work well in a team setting, demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills, and the ability to work well with others.
- Considerable knowledge of third party reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable with various types of insurances
- Ability to understand medical terminology and coding.
- Understanding of managed care plans
- Knowledge of MiChart(Cadence and In Baskets)-ability to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record. Able to identify the best available appointment type to meet the patient, clinic and provider needs/requirements.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan Health Systems Policies and Procedures.
- Recent experience in an Outpatient Clinic setting-able to identify "red call" and "yellow card" situations and respond appropriately.
- Relates work and job purpose to UMHS mission and commitment to putting patients and family first
- Shift/Hours/Days: 40 hours, Mon-Fri & Occasional Saturdays
- This position will primarily be serving in a multi-service call center.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.