How to Apply
In order to be considered for this posting, all candidates must submit a resume along with their online application. Applications received without an attached resume will not be considered.
In accordance with UMHS, AORN, AAMI and industry standards, decontaminates, prepares, and sterilizes and/or distributes sterile processed items
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Decontaminate instruments and other items & equipment following industry standards (UMHS/AAMI/AORN).
- Assembles, packages, and prepares instrument/instrument sets and other re-usable items.
- Performs sterilization tasks including: Steam, EtO, H2O2, Pasteurization (site dependent).
- Competently operates department equipment according to safe practices.
- Follow policies for sterilization testing and monitoring. Accurately documents indicators such as BI reports, Challenge tests, etc.
- Brings to the attention of management any and all matters regarding/questioning processing sterilization.
- Handles and distributes processed items according to practices for site (e.g., case carts).
- Other duties as assigned.
Note: Successful applicant will be placed into an OR Instrument Processor I (Pay Grade 06) or OR Instrument Processor II (Pay Grade 07) depending upon the position for which the applicant meets the below required qualifications.
- OR Instrument Processor I:
- Graduate of Instrument Processing Program including completed externship
- OR Instrument Processor II:
Graduate of Instrument Processing Program including completed externship
Minimum 1.5 years’ CSS experience
- Demonstrated competency with 80% of trays within assigned work areas
Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, in addition to being able to take direction
- Ability to take rotating weekend call, with 30 minute response time
- Or Instrument Processor I:
- One year CSS experience
Shift/afternoons 2p-10:30p., 40 hrs/week.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.