Why Join the Department of Social Work?
These positions are designed to cover the MSW clinicians while away on leave. The assignment is within the pediatric home ventilator program working with children with complex medical needs. Social workers provide services to patients and families both in the ambulatory clinics as well as the inpatient setting to ensure continuity.
The Department of Social Work strives to foster an environment of respect, diversity and inclusion; a place where every person feels valued and can thrive.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Working within an interdisciplinary pulmonary team in busy outpatient clinics as well as with the inpatient providers when the patient is admitted to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital.
- Identifying and optimizing family functioning, education and assess eligibility for specialized insurance programs
- Psychosocial assessments of patients and families for needs related to coping, mental health and tangible resources related to complex medical diagnoses for children who are ventilator-dependent
- Providing counseling related to end of life and decision making
- Connecting to community resources for continuity of care and providing families additional support
- Partnering with schools and C & W educational specialists to identify barriers to educational opportunities or to advocate for appropriate accommodations
- Participation in interdisciplinary team meetings, family meeting and social work team meetings
- Actively working with the inpatient care team to coordinate services for safe and effective discharge planning
- Reviewing records, diagnostic assessment, symptom monitoring, care coordination, evaluating and recording progress with respect to treatment goals, and ongoing collaboration with the patient’s medical team while drawing on social work experience and ongoing assessment of patient needs
- Assessment and development of supportive social and educational programming to enhance the patient/family experience (i.e. support groups, peer-to-peer trainings, educational forums, etc).
- A Master's degree in Social Work from a school accredited by the Council of Social Work Education.
- A current license to practice social work in the State of Michigan.
- Previous experience with medical and mental health social work.
- Previous experience with chronic illness and impact on family systems
- Skilled in developing rapport and effectively communicating with a diverse patient population.
- Efficient, accurate assessment of patient needs and effective case dispositions.
- Effective organizational skills, flexibility, self-motivation, the ability to effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks in a dynamic medical clinic.
- Independent, sound decision-making is necessary for success in this position.
- Effective collaboration with a large multi-disciplinary team.
- Proficiency in keeping accurate and timely clinical records by computer.
This is full time, 40 hour/week position. The typical schedule is Monday-Friday with start and end times 8:00-4:30 or 8:30-5:00.
This position will be located at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.