The Revenue Cycle Department, Unit D is looking for a Senior Billing Clerk. This position is integral to the daily operations of the Unit D Billing Team. The primary responsibilities are to handle Third Party Payer Products for professional claims, credits, edits, denials, follow up and account maintenance for the Department of Radiology and Pathology.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Primary duties include claim submission, error correction and insurance collections.
- Initiate and process claims and other forms within prescribed guidelines; screening for accuracy, completeness and conformity to required standard.
- Investigate discrepancies; take appropriate corrective action when necessary ensuring compliance.
- Edit outpatient insurance information on claims when registration information results in denial.
- Verify and update patient demographic and financial information as needed.
- Apply payments to accounts ensuring appropriate payment category, reimbursement level, contractual adjustment and liability transfer.
- Investigate claim denials and reimbursement issues, pursuing appropriate corrective actions including status of accounts, write-offs, refunds, transfers, and billing third party carriers within established guidelines.
- Monitor, interpret and advise management regarding changes to third party reimbursement activities and trends.
- Contact appropriate third party representatives for information and assistance with denied or incorrectly paid claims.
- Review accounts with credit balance(s) and resolve appropriately, via correction or refund/take back request.
- Represent the unit with limited authority regarding general administrative and operational matters on an as need basis.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency in use of computers and software, including Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrates ability to handle multiple items simultaneously and produce high-quality work in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Demonstrates experience in professionally handling and protecting items confidential in nature.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment, and to build trust in the working relationships with other staff and faculty.
- Demonstrates ability to learn and work independently.
- Knowledge of University of Michigan and UMHS policies and procedures. Ability to identify, research and resolve complex billing and payer issues. Prior experience with commercial claim edits and denials. Experience with Michart, Outlook, Epremis, variety of insurance payer websites. Professional billing experience.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.