How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The mission of the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR) is to catalyze, support, and safeguard U-M research. To that end, our team is constantly striving to foster new research and scholarship, build partnerships, and promote researchers across the institution in order to realize our vision of research that serves the world. As part of this effort, UMOR serves as the administrative home to several units that focus on data-intensive and computational research: Advanced Research Computing (ARC), the Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery and Engineering (MICDE), the Michigan Institute for Data Science (MIDAS) and Consulting for Statistics, Computing and Analytics Research (CSCAR).
UMOR is seeking a creative and self-motivated Communications Specialist. This position will report to the UMOR Senior Communications Manager. The Communications Specialist will allocate approximately half of his/her time to supporting the communications and marketing needs of ARC, MICDE, MIDAS and CSCAR. The position’s remaining effort will support UMOR and other reporting units, as needed, to promote awareness among key internal and external audiences of the excitement, value and impact of U-M research.
- Develop and implement a unified communications and marketing strategy for Advanced Research Computing, the Michigan Institute for Computational Discovery and Engineering, the Michigan Institute for Data Science, and Consulting for Statistics, Computing and Analytics Research.
- Work with leadership to identify and refine key messages, highlight new services and groundbreaking research findings, promote messages through a dynamic set of channels, and help position U-M as a leader in research computing.
- Assist in coordinating the university’s presence at events and conferences that focus on data science and computational research.
- In coordination with unit leadership, develop and update website content, as well as social media channels.
- Build relationships with communicators and faculty across campus to stay abreast of key research developments.
- Explore novel ways to communicate progress and potential societal impact in important areas of research.
- Help target key messages about U-M research to specific audiences, including government, alumni, industry and peer institutions.
- Work with the UMOR Senior Communications Manager on other projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of four years of work experience in communications and/or marketing.
- Outstanding writing skills with demonstrated experience communicating complex technical topics to broad audiences.
- Experience with the design and production of print and web-based materials.
- Experience in using various web-based tools and technologies (Drupal and/or WordPress, Google Analytics, PowerPoint, InDesign, etc.).
- Experience in managing social media channels.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills are necessary for interacting effectively with university and community partners.
- Experience in a research environment or academic setting preferred.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.