How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Alliance for the Arts in Research Universities (a2ru) is seeking a Program Coordinator to provide administrative and operational support. The candidate should be able to exercise initiative and independent judgment, follow-through, and diplomacy with a service-oriented attitude while providing special attention to detail and dynamic prioritization in a timely and efficient manner.
a2ru is a national organization of research universities dedicated to promoting and studying innovative practices that enable its members to better integrate artists, arts practice, and arts integration research within their institutions and throughout higher education. To date, 45 leading research universities are members of the Alliance, and many more participate in its conference and programs. a2ru is hosted by and housed at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Visit a2ru.org for more information about the Alliance
Conferences and Events
- Serve as Conference Director, in close coordination with the a2ru Associate Director, to direct all aspects of the planning, organization, and financial management of two national conferences
- Develop and manage event and project budgets
- Develop and maintain a conference sponsorship program
- Oversee conference-related grant programs including application review, awards, and follow-up reporting
- Serve as a team lead/member as needed for additional a2ru events, workshops and projects on campus and at affiliate campuses
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee and direct the management of efficient and updated communications processes, in close collaboration with the Associate and Executive Directors, by maintaining the a2ru website, contact and mailing lists, regular communication channels, contacts database, social media outreach, and the development, display and distribution of all marketing and program materials
- Professionally represent a2ru to students, faculty, alumni, a2ru partners, and others
- Coordinate graphic design efforts related to newsletters, publications, communications, and marketing
Office and Financial Administration
- Supply administrative support and scheduling assistance for the Executive Director and for other a2ru personnel
- Supply administrative support for Executive Committee meetings, agendas, minutes and scheduling, as well as all other a2ru meetings
- Order and maintain all office supplies and equipment
- Arrange travel for a2ru Executive Director and guests
- Establish and maintain clear, strong communications with a2ru’s liaison in the U-M Provost Office to implement and maintain U-M’s best practices in processes and procedures that facilitate a2ru operations
- Coordinate HR activities, such as hiring, grants, personnel and payroll, in association with U-M Provosts Office.
- Assist in overall unit budget development, maintenance and reporting
- Prepare and coordinate all financial transactions necessary (p-cards, journal, entries, awards, reimbursement, etc.) in coordination with U-M Provost Office personnel
- Prepare and coordinate all partner agreements and associated billing as needed
- Prepare and coordinate all contracts with outside parties as needed (catering, conference services, website, subscriptions, sponsorship agreements)
Financial Administration and Sponsored Projects
- Prepare and maintain pre- and post- grant award processes and documentation
- Oversee proper dissemination of awards including required reporting and financial analysis
- Assist in identification of potential grant funding opportunities
- Provide supervision for student program assistants, which may include the graduate Interns
- This position reports to the a2ru Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of progressively responsible event management and administrative experience, or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience with organizing and promoting educational events, preferably in higher education settings.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail and accuracy, and strong record-keeping skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to present ideas to increase efficiency.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus and demonstrated commitment to creating a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with various management levels and department staff internal and external to the University.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately follow directions, as well as proven initiative to gather information and resources needed to assure assignments are completed in a thorough and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment as well as independently, set priorities, multi-task, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and display excellent judgment while operating in a flexible and professional manner.
- Strong proficiency in the use of computers, including MS applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and experience working with Google calendars and documents.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and tolerate a moderate degree of ambiguity while still working collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to quickly learn new computer systems for accessing data, creating necessary reports, using CRM and other communication and teleconferencing systems.
- Working knowledge of applicable University policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with higher education culture, reporting structure and decision-making.
- Interest in the arts and art-making, creativity and design thinking, student development and/or integrative STEM funds.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.