Why become a Housekeeping Supervisor at Michigan Medicine?
At Michigan Medicine, our Housekeeping Supervisors are functioning members of our health care team. You will establish and maintain aseptic environmental conditions for large areas within the Medical Center. We will follow all infection control, OSHA and JCAHO (Environment of Care) standards, while responding constructively and professionally to service requests from patients, staff and visitors. Working for Michigan Medicine will provide you with a positive work/life balance, while also allowing you with the opportunity to improve and develop your career. We would love for you to join our creative and fun team!
What perks and benefits can you look forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Generous PTO program
- Continued education allowance
- Teaching and mentorship opportunities
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- You will supervise employees while maintaining a clean, safe, aseptic environment in assigned areas
- Set and adjust pay and work hours for staff
- Drive staff productivity around patient throughput and Participate in recruitment and staff selection process
- Assign established work areas and/or project duties
- Plan and coordinate project works
- You will attend and participate in departmental staff meetings, development and training courses
- Provide and monitor individual guidance and motivation to employees
- Participate in quality management and patient satisfaction programs as required
- Assign equipment to staff; monitor daily equipment use, cleaning and maintenance
- You will ensure that all equipment is clean and professional in appearance at all times
- Manage budgets and report to management
- Ensure that payroll is processed accurately and timely
- Appraise employee efficiency and evaluate/discipline staff
- Train new staff and handle employee complaints and grievances
- Responsible for service recovery
- You will monitor and implement legal compliance measures
- Associates degree plus 4 years’ supervisory experience in an educational, healthcare, hospitality or other related field; or Bachelor’s Degree plus 2 years’ experience in an educational, healthcare, hospitality; or related field; or equivalent military or professional experience
- Strong work ethic, intense drive, and initiative for quality and customer service
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent listening and empathy skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills both one-on-one and in group situations
- Ability to utilize a participative approach to managing staff
- Understanding of budgeting processes and awareness of profit and loss concepts
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills and an ability to prioritize
- Ability to function appropriately under stressful conditions
- Ability to work weekends and/or holiday rotation
- Willingness to work longer hours as needed
- Leadership experience in a healthcare, janitorial, military, hospitality or other customer service related field or setting
- Excellent employee relations track record
- Communication, analytical and problem resolution skills
- Basic understanding of financial management practices
- Personal computer utilization skills
- 2-3 years of experience in a union environment
- Four-year college degree or Military experience
- 1-5 years of supervisor experience in a hospital or hospitality setting or military
- Experience with JCAHO audit process
- Some knowledge of LEAN Value initiatives
- Hospital Environmental Services quality assurance experience
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.