How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
An exciting opportunity has been created for an experienced researcher to join the Alumkal Laboratory (www.ohsu.edu/alumkal-lab) that is moving from Oregon Health & Science University to the U of M Division of Hem-Onc and the Rogel Cancer Center in Ann Arbor, MI. The individual will join as a Staff Scientist and work directly with Dr. Joshi Alumkal, Leader of the U of M Prostate/Genitourinary Oncology Cancer Section. He/she will be an integral member of research team whose focus is epigenetics and drug resistance in prostate cancer.
Our laboratory focuses on identifying mechanisms by which key chromatin modifying enzymes and chromatin readers drive transcription of pathways that promote treatment resistance. We use genomics studies in prostate cancer clinical samples and prostate cancer cell line model systems and functional studies to understand this process. Our goal is to develop new, targeted treatment strategies for men with advanced prostate cancer.
The position is in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, and highly translational environment in the U of M Division of Heme-Onc and the Rogel Cancer Center in the U of M School of Medicine. Highly-motivated candidates with expertise in molecular biology, chromatin, and genomics who are interested in a career in oncology basic/translational research will be most competitive for this position.
The individual will be responsible for leading a collaborative research project focused on prostate cancer epigenetics and drug resistance. Expertise with molecular biology, biochemistry, and genomics will be required for this project. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: maintaining a high level of professional expertise in the field; supervising and providing guidance and mentorship to other scientists within the laboratory; designing and directing or executing experiments; and establishing laboratory procedures and systems that enforce and maintain a high level of organization in the lab. The individual will have demonstrated success in leading, managing and participating in collaborative projects and a distinguished record of scientific and technical accomplishments. S/he will have the ability to gain the confidence of other scientists, and staff, and the ability to develop strategic relationships and partnerships with key constituents.
Staff scientists have at least 3 years of post-graduate research experience in the practice of science and team science. They are likely to have deep expertise in a singular area of focus but may also have worked as boundary spanners across multiple fields. Achieving this position requires that the researcher have demonstrated a satisfactory track record of scholarly activity including high-quality peer-reviewed publications. Typically, this position will be filled by PhD’s with significant postdoctoral research experience. A record of collaborative research or potential for collaborative research is a requirement for this position. This individual should have the potential to both lead and participate on team projects in the lab.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Running a laboratory project of his/her own- Independently develop and manage research experiments, determining the most suitable methods to be used. Interpret and perform complex data analysis on experimental results and determine whether they are consistent with goals. Maintain a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with current scientific literature. As needed, develop innovative techniques and experimental systems to meet research program goals.
Scientific project oversight of others' projects- With input from Dr. Alumkal, help to develop and oversee laboratory research projects. Including identification of scientific problem, design of approach to address it, and identification, acquisition and management of resources to perform investigations. Assign personnel, track their progress, and ensure maximum productivity. Foster and support teamwork. Provide training and guidance to postdoctoral fellows, clinical research fellows, graduate students and undergraduate students. Ensure that research team members maintain accurate and detailed records of all experimental procedures, data collections and analysis performed.
Scientific writing and project development- Prepare research findings for presentation at scientific meetings and conference and manuscripts for publication. Help prepare grant applications.
Collaborative Interactions: Develop, foster and maintain relationships with partners in academia and in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industries. Oversee the advancement of specific sponsored research agreement (SRA) funded projects and ensure that external partners receive regular project updates. Participate in occasional teaching assignments.
- Doctoral degree in relevant field and 3-5 years of relevant post-doctoral work experience.
- Strong publication record.
- Proficient with computers specifically MS Office (which includes, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint) and statistical analysis software.
- Knowledge of policy and regulations applicable to the laboratory, including but not limited to safety, animal and radiation.
- Technical proficiency, scientific creativity collaborative ability, and independent thinker
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a high performing work group.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- Must have excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills: both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new and innovative processed quickly
- Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to operate complex scientific equipment and develop and troubleshoot complex experimental protocols
- Demonstrated ability to build productive cross functional collaborations both internally and externally
- Ability to analyze short and long term project needs.
- Ability to schedule, manage and coordinate multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Experience with supervision or project management is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in epigenetics, genomics, and cancer biology are strongly preferred.
- Expertise with ChIP-seq RNA-seq and data visualization/analysis is strongly preferred.
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 KO technology is strongly preferred. (Molecular biology techniques required: chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP), PCR, primer design, cell culture, transfections, transductions, Western blots, cloning). Experience with drug sensitivity/synergy analyses preferred.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.