How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
An exciting opportunity has been created for an experienced researcher to join the Alumkal Laboratory (www.ohsu.edu/alumkal-lab) that is moving from Oregon Health & Science University to the U of M Division of Heme-Onc and the Rogel Cancer Center in Ann Arbor, MI. The individual will join as a Research Lab Tech Senior and will work directly with Dr. Joshi Alumkal, Leader of the U of M Prostate/Genitourinary Oncology Cancer Section. He/she will be an integral member of research team whose focus is epigenetics and drug resistance in prostate cancer.
Our laboratory focuses on identifying mechanisms by which key chromatin modifying enzymes and chromatin readers drive transcription of pathways that promote treatment resistance. We use genomic/epigenomic studies in prostate cancer clinical samples and prostate cancer cell line model systems and functional studies to understand this process. Our goal is to develop new, targeted treatment strategies for men with advanced prostate cancer.
This individual will be responsible for carrying out experiments in the laboratory, including mouse xenograft experiments and drug treatment, protein and RNA expression and purification from mammalian cells and bacteria, QPCR, Western blotting, reporter gene analysis, ELISA, tissue culture of mammalina cell lines and transfection, genomic data wrangling and analysis, and management of lab consumables and equipment.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Cell culture, molecular biology techniques including: DNA/RNA/protein
- extraction, QPCR, and Western blots, etc. Performs mouse xenograft tumor
- growth experiments with drug injections or drug gavage.
- Genomic data wrangling and analyses
- Orders supplies, maintains equipment, takes care of regulatory documents
- (IACUC, IRB, IBC)
- Additional laboratory duties as assigned by PI
- Bachelor's degree and 1-2 years of related experience required.
- Strong molecular biology knowledge and skills including experience with protein expression and purification.
- Proficiency in RNA and protein purification from mammalian cells and bacteria.
- Proficiency in cloning, expression, and purification of plasmids from bacteria.
- Proficiency with mammalian cell culture.
- Experience in practical application of molecular biology techniques, such as RT-PCR, western blotting, reporter gene analysis, and ELISA assays.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks at one time.
- Must have excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills: both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team while being collaborative in resolving problems.
- Must be proficient with computers running Windows and PC applications e.g. MS Excel, Oracle, Access, Word and PowerPoint).
- Must have demonstrated excellent customer service skills both on the phone and in person.
- Must possess energy and drive to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to maintain effective working relationships.
- Rodent handling experience, especially with xenograft tumor growth experiments involving injection and/or gavage treatment is strongly preferred.
- Experience with genomic data wrangling and analysis is strongly preferred.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.