How to Apply
Applicants will only be considered after successful completion and submission of the following:
- Completed application via the UM Careers website
- Letter of Intent
- Updated curriculum vitae
Join the Pharmacy team at the Michigan Medicine! The vision of Michigan Medicine is to create the future of health care through discovery and to become the national leader in health care, health care reform, biomedical innovation and education. As part of this world-class organization, the Department of Pharmacy Services has high standards for service, education, and research. Our Department has a rich history of excellence; you have the opportunity to join a world-class team to provide exceptional patient care and advance the Mission of Michigan Medicine. Work to assist in the development, implementation and monitoring of services for the Research Pharmacy team; to ensure and promote the safe, rational, efficacious and cost-effective use of drug therapy in patients in clinical trials; to provide leadership for services including developing guidelines and policies, developing quality improvement processes, and to assist in the clinical training of staff, residents and students.
The goal of the Research Pharmacy (RP) in the Department of Pharmacy Services at Michigan Medicine is to ensure that investigational drug studies and other medication-related research at the Hospitals and Clinics are conducted in a safe and efficient manner. In doing so, the RP assists investigators in complying with the requirements of the FDA, study sponsors, Michigan State Board of Pharmacy Regulations, Joint Commission standards and requirements, and hospital and pharmacy policies. Clinical Pharmacist Specialists with the RP team support the Missions of service, education, and research through management of investigational drug studies; education of staff, residents, and students; supporting or conducting research; and supporting practice advancement. Come join our excellent team of dedicated pharmacy technicians and pharmacists!
For more information about the Department of Pharmacy Services, please see our annual report at: https://www.medicine.umich.edu/dept/pharmacy/pharmacy-annual-report
GENEROUS BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Health insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement plan
- Opportunities to earn continuing education credits at in-house education programs
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Serve as a Lead Pharmacist for investigational drug studies; implement and manage studies in accordance with GCP, FDA Regulations and Guidance's, Joint Commission standards, applicable state and federal laws, Michigan Medicine Policies and Procedures, and current pharmacy practice
- Review protocols using investigational drugs for IRBMED
- Serve as a liaison with principal investigators and study teams to establish delegated IDS/pharmacy role; determine fees for delegated responsibilities
- Provide staff training and education related to study drug management and dispensing
- Provide oversight for maintenance of IDS Pharmacy Binder
- Other responsibilities related to study management per RP, Department, Michigan Medicine, and University policies and procedures
- Serve as expert resource to investigators, study teams and staff, and College of Pharmacy colleagues on regulatory, clinical, and operational aspects of managing clinical trials
- Assure the appropriateness of medication therapy (investigational and commercial) through:
- Review of medication orders for clinical appropriateness based on patient specific conditions and concomitant therapies.
- Compound and accurately dispense medications, intravenous solutions and related supplies
- Formulate, prepare, and maintain quality control of pharmaceutical preparations
- Check medication preparation and oversee delegated pharmacy services performed by pharmacy technicians
- Communication with prescribers and providers regarding appropriateness of drug therapy and patient response to therapy
- Provide on-call support for Research Pharmacy as assigned
- Maintain competence in relevant Michigan enterprise and DOPS systems (e.g., Epic/MiChart, Vestigo, eResearch)
- Act as functional supervisor and appropriately delegate work to Research Pharmacy technicians and interns
- Identify cost-saving/revenue-generating and quality initiatives within Research Pharmacy practice
- Participate in implementation of IDS quality, cost-saving, or other institution initiatives
- Complete other service responsibilities as assigned
- Provide assistance as a member of patient care team ensuring accurate medication use and documentation of medication administration
- Assist in the development and implementation of new pharmacy services to support the Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives
- Develop and implement quality improvement and process improvements to improve patient care and pharmacy services
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for Doctor of Pharmacy students on a variety of practice experiences including Introductory Pharmacy Patient Experiences (IPPEs) and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs), and may provide didactic education for pharmacy students
- Pharmacists serve as preceptors for pharmacy residents
- May assist in the development and provision of medication-related educational and training programs
- Serve as a mentor/advisor to Research Pharmacy interns
- Complete other teaching activities as assigned
- May conduct or participate in research, drug use projects, cost reduction/management initiatives, and quality improvement activities consistent with Michigan Medicine’s goals and objectives
- Participate in and support Research Pharmacy research and data collection activities as assigned
- Participate in College of Pharmacy PharmD Investigations student projects
- Foster and support UM Research Pharmacy prominence in Research Pharmacy practice at local, state, and national levels
- Participate in other scholarly activities as determined in conjunction with supervisor
Maintain and develop professional competence of self and others. Efforts should include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining all required professional licensures and certifications
- Providing input into performance appraisals and evaluations of IDS team members
- Promoting professional development of staff and colleagues
- Undertaking professional development activities related to the position
- Maintaining membership in relevant professional organizations, listservers and other practice forums
- Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current licensure as a registered pharmacist by the State of Michigan Board of Pharmacy and a Michigan Controlled Substance License to practice pharmacy in the State of Michigan, or eligibility to become licensed within 60 days of employment start date
- Able to perform all of the Duties and Responsibilities
- Able to prioritize with accuracy and dependability
- Demonstrate and apply excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Effectively communicate with pharmacy team members, other healthcare professionals, employees, patients and visitors
- Accurately and efficiently interpret and process medication orders, labels, and documentation
- Ability to meet all of the above qualifications and requirements with or without reasonable accommodation
- Relevant training and/or work experience in Research Pharmacy/IDS
- Relevant training and/or work experience in clinical research
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) certification
This schedule for this position includes day shifts and on-call responsibilities.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. (eligibility for Licensure as a Pharmacist by the State of Michigan is necessary.
This position will report to the Manager of Research Pharmacy
Pharmacists provide functional supervision of technical staff, residents, and students working in their area including completion of job assignments and assuring adherence to institutional policies and procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.