How to Apply
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest, three letters of recommendation and their curriculum vitae to Bruce W. Chaffee, Pharm.D., FASHP, Assistant Director of Pharmacy.
Michigan Medicine, world-renowned for its excellence in patient care, teaching and research, is accepting applications for the full-time position of Clinical Specialist for Pharmacy Analytics. The Department of Pharmacy Services at Michigan Medicine is seeking a special individual who can provide high-level, blended clinical and technical expertise, data-management, and analytical insight to support the use of data and creation of data visualization tools and dashboards within the Department of Pharmacy Services. This individual will positively affect patient care by identifying, analyzing, and reporting trends and anomalies in drug use to promote data-driven decisions, which is fundamental to the Pharmacy’s mission of safe, effective, financially prudent, and secure drug use.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
As an integral member of the Pharmacy Analytics team, the Clinical Specialist for Pharmacy Analytics will report to the Assistant Director of Pharmacy Analytics, Quality, Regulatory, and Safety and work closely with the Project Manager, departmental leadership, and H.I.T.S. technology team to transform data into critical knowledge used to make sound organizational decisions. The selected individual will be responsible for identifying and obtaining complex data requirements from key departmental stakeholders and translating those requirements into data visualizations and interactive dashboards used for strategic decision-making in the within the Department of Pharmacy Services and shared with other key Michigan Medicine stakeholders. The selected individual will:
- Use systems and tools to identify data that will help improve financial performance, drug security, quality improvement efforts, pharmacy operations, and patient outcomes
- Meet with subject matter experts to obtain and clarify complex requirements to support the clinical & operational effectiveness of the department
- Assist in the design and creation of visualization report templates
- Work with information technology staff to create data feeds, validate datasets, maintain visualizations, and document processes, systems, and decisions
- Utilize business intelligence software (e.g. Tableau) to create, maintain, and enhance data visualizations and dashboards used by departmental and other Michigan Medicine staff
- Train pharmacy and select medical staff in the interactive use of data visualization tools and dashboards
- Apply knowledge of data, data management and data analysis to facilitate strategic decisions
- Prepare and maintain complete technical documentation of the data sources, nomenclature, coding and design of data visualizations and analytic files while ensuring their security and sustainability, and
- Conduct predictive data modeling and/or forecasting using machine learning and/or artificial intelligence techniques.
This work will involve the integration of large and varied datasets, the communication and marketing of the resulting dashboard availability, and facilitating individuals’ use of dashboard information.
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Completion of a pharmacy residency or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Eligible to be licensed to practice as a pharmacist in the State of Michigan and possession of a state controlled substance license
- Knowledge of contemporary pharmacy practice, including aspects such as drug costs, reimbursement, drug diversion, workload and productivity measurement, safety, and quality
- Knowledge of EPIC, Clarity, electronic health records or clinical information systems
- At least 1-2 years' experience with data analytics, reporting and business intelligence data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Experience managing databases with a strong emphasis on data integrity, data quality, and designing efficient processes and mechanisms to store and retrieve data
- Excellent organizational, teamwork, interpersonal, time management, consensus-building, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization
- Excellent communication skills (fluency in writing, reading and speaking English)
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software
- Ability to perform a variety of manual dexterity movements (i.e., keyboard data entry)
- Completion of an Informatics PGY2 residency program or a PGY2 in health-systems pharmacy administration or drug information residency with significant informatics training
- Certification in EPIC Willow pharmacy and Clarity database/reporting
- Project management experience, including scope definition, requirements gathering, developing data/technical specifications and work documentation, and project management
- Ability to learn and apply new and emerging technologies quickly and creatively use tools and approaches that effectively address problems, are feasible to implement, and cost-effective
- Ability to develop and utilize current user experience design and development principles in the development of visualizations and dashboards.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment, tact, diplomacy and a collaborative service-oriented attitude
- Successful experience working with others to develop, refine and scale data management and analytics procedures, systems, workflows, best practices and other issues
- Demonstrated ability to use analytics to drive key success metrics related to financial performance, quality improvement or operational efficiency.
- Versatility in computer and data sciences, including knowledge of statistical concepts and experience using SQL Server, Statistical Software (R, SAS or SPSS), Python, and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure of deadlines and competing priorities, to work independently and as part of a team, exercising initiative and independent judgment, and to adapt flexibly to emerging needs and competing priorities in a changing environment.
- Knowledge or interest in reporting, data-mining and machine learning
- Experience in student and resident education
Successful deployment of this position will be represented in the near term by the creation and/or modification of dashboards for drug costs and pharmacy workload, successful distribution and use of dashboards by staff. In addition, success with data management and standardization will be represented by complete definition and documentation of data fields used in the creation of dashboards and documentation of user requirements. Long term success will be represented by financial, operational, safety, quality, and clinical outcomes improvments achieved through the use of dashboards.
Direct supervision is received from the Assistant Director for Pharmacy Analytics, Quality, Regulatory, and Safety.
May coordinate and functionally supervise the work of pharmacy students, residents, interns and other temporary employees.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.