Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
In addition to competency in obtaining blood specimens from adult patients candidate must also obtain blood specimens ordered by a physician from patients with alternate venous access devices. Candidate will assume chief tech duties in the absence of a supervisor or lead, troubleshoot problems, report back to supervisor, and may perform routine bench tests (such as urine's and streps).
May perform special tests such as plasma catecholamine, coagulation testing, venous blood gases and glucose tolerance testing, and reports results. Maintains records of tests performed and blood samples taken. Pediatric procedures must be performed with confidence at Children & Women units within UMHS and in the Satellite Support Locations. Provide training, mentoring and support to new employees and less experienced staff. Perform duties of a phlebotomist as required.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population and team.
- Some experience with electronic computer programs is required.
- Demonstrated ability in two or more of the following categories is required:
- Proficiency in pediatric phlebotomy
- Proficiency in blood collections from vascular access devices
- Proficiency with all computer applications used in the Satellite Support area
- Proficiency with Point of Care testing and QC.
- This position requires frequent standing and walking as well as lifting, positioning, pushing and /or transferring patients, candidate must have physical ability to accomplish this.
Requirement for Phlebotomist Specialist:
- A minimum of 1 year of experience in phlebotomy
- Pediatric experience and port access trained highly desirable.
- Previous experience with MiChart/EPIC, and Soft Lab a plus.
This full time, 40 hour position is on the day shift, hours will be M-F 8-4 with one Saturday a month.
This position will rotate between the Canton Health Center and Ypsilanti Health Center.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.