How to Apply
A complete application requires applicants to upload all of the following documents as one PDF when applying:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references; you must indicate the nature of your professional relationship with each reference.
The University of Michigan Law Library seeks a Faculty Research & Reference Librarian to join our highly engaged and collaborative team of librarians dedicated to providing excellent and innovative services to law faculty and students. Applicants who have passed a U.S. bar exam are strongly preferred.
Who We Are
The University of Michigan Law School has 82 full-time and 57 part-time faculty, and approximately 1,000 J.D., 40 L.L.M., and 7 S.J.D. students. With over 1 million volumes, the Law Library has one of the world’s premier collections. The Law Library also has one of the world’s most comprehensive collections of foreign, comparative, and international law materials. The University of Michigan is located in Ann Arbor, which is considered among the best places in the United States to live and work.
Under the general direction of the Head of Reference & Research Services, the Faculty Research & Reference Librarian will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage, supervise, and coordinate the Faculty Research Service, including hiring, training, and supervising student employees.
- Perform in-depth, expert legal, non-legal and bibliographic research for law faculty.
- Work with Head of Reference & Research Services to assign research or problem requests to other Reference Librarians as needed.
- Provide reference service in all areas of law for all jurisdictions, as well as in non-law subject areas.
- Participate in the evening and weekend rotation at the reference desk.
- Provide one-time research instruction sessions in law school classes and individual or group research consultations.
- Participate in outreach efforts to law students.
- Create and update research guides.
- Fill in for other reference librarians and provide back-up supervision for unit functions during vacations and other absences, as needed.
- May be assigned other duties.
- J.D. from ABA accredited law school.
- Master’s degree from an A.L.A. accredited school of information or library science.
- Substantial knowledge of and proficiency with a wide range of legal information sources and research methods.
- Experience doing legal research in an academic, court or law firm setting.
- A thorough knowledge of legal systems.
- A strong service orientation.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn and understand complex Law Library practices and procedures.
- Creativity and adaptability in the face of multiple simultaneous demands.
- Group instruction experience or potential.
- Experience using and familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends at the reference desk on a rotating basis.
- Licensed to practice law in one or more U.S. states.
- Some experience performing reference work in an academic law library.
- Experience in a large research library.
- Ability to work with foreign language materials.
- Strong problem-solving and leadership skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with other decision-makers
At the University of Michigan, our dedication to academic excellence for the public good is inseparable from our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. U-M is committed to recruiting, selecting, and retaining a diverse and highly engaged staff community.
Salary: minimum $63,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications; and a very competitive benefits package. Librarians at the University of Michigan hold academic appointments.
This position will be filled at either a Sr. Assoc. Librarian or Assoc. Librarian level, dependent upon the experience of the selected candidate.
Applications accepted until July 31, 2019. Applications considered upon receipt.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.