How to Apply
A cover letter is needed to be considered for this position. Please attach it as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should describe your interest in this position, as well as your skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI) Biosciences Group seeks a motivated, energetic, fulltime Research Assistant. The research assistant will work with study coordinators, engineers, scientists, and other team members to conduct research relating to engineering anthropometry, ergonomics, and crash safety of vehicle occupants. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Driving test vehicles.
- Scheduling test volunteers.
- Collecting data in studies involving volunteers.
- Processing and backing up collected test data.
- Setting up, calibrating, and maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Communicating with other members of the team.
- Supervising staff assisting in research.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- 10+ years of driving experience.
- Good driving record.
- US citizenship or permanent residency required.
- Experience performing physical job tasks safely. This includes but is not limited to lifting up to 40 pounds, bending, reaching, standing (1 hour increments) and pushing and pulling up to 40 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Available to work changing shifts to accommodate day and nighttime testing.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Prior experience related to science or engineering research or data analysis useful but not necessary.
- Background in engineering or kinesiology.
- Excellent customer service skills, close attention to detail, reliable attendance record, demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience working independently.
- Familiarity with PC and Mac computers, including some experience working with Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
This is a 6-month term-limited position. The position may be extended up to 1 year with strong job performance and is conditional on continuation of funding.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and include a review of driving history.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.