Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Basic Function and Responsibility
Provides oversight and maintenance of the operational and personnel activities of one or more processes in the Transportation Services Department to ensure consistent, efficient and cost contained services are provided to all UMHS internal and external customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the supervision of one or more processes in the Transportation Services Department; assigns the work of staff.
- Initiate and prepare forms for personnel;
- Review/records/approves exception time for employees, directly on electronic timesheet
- Monitors compliance with/on current department and institutional policies and procedures and all government and regulatory agency codes and regulations
- Monitors compliance and trains team members with/on current department and institutional policies and procedures and all government and regulatory agency codes and regulations
- Monitors productivity standards/control systems for responsible processes, interprets this information and exercises action as appropriate to ensure maximum work efficiency; communicates findings, and suggested improvement/resolutions, to manager.
- Assesses, implements and documents ongoing training, education and orientation programs for respective work area(s).
- Assist manager with new work area policies and procedures, develops training materiel and then ensures training is completed, incorporating P.D.C.A. quality improvement method and LEAN principles, along with safety compliance.
- Evaluates proficiency and performance of staff and initiates corrective or disciplinary action as necessary.
- Maintains appropriate supplies and tools necessary for process team members to provide services.
- Collaborates interdepartmentally with customers and suppliers, to resolve service problems..
- Maintains a professional customer sensitive rapport with hospital personnel, along with patients and visitors.
- Handles employees’ complaints and grievances
- Interview and hire new employees and ensure training and performance measures are met; provide manager with information when necessary.
- Conduct progressive corrective action promptly, up to and including termination, when necessary.
Related Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in the development and preparation of new and existing program proposals, and various reports. Assists Manager in development, implementation, and communication of projects.
- Assists Manager in development, implementation, and communication of projects.
- Provides technical assistance, consulting services and training in specific area of expertise both within and outside the Medical Center.
- Participates, leads and facilitates committees/teams
- Participates in product evaluations of medical equipment and supplies and provides advice and opinions relative to their purchase.
- Provide customer survey data to manager
- Assist manager to remain within operating budget.
- Performs other related duties as specified and assigned.
- Three or more years of direct supervisory experience of one or multiple supply/service processes
- Capacity to develop knowledge of Transportation Services principles and practices inclusive of business techniques and the technical aspects of the particular area(s) of responsibility will be necessary
- Demonstrated capability of the following interpersonal skills: team building, teamwork coaching, conflict resolution, communication
- Proven project planning, goal setting, and change management skills
- Reasonable knowledge of computer systems is necessary (i.e.: Word, Excel, MPathways: Timekeeping)
- Experience in customer service field
- Physically capable of performing all job functions including but not limited to lifting, bending, pushing , and pulling patients and equipment that can weigh in excess of 500lbs.
- Excellent Communication skills both verbally and written.
- Critical thinker with the ability to work in a fast paced , high impact, high volume environment.
- Previous experience with Excel, MS Word
- Associate's Degree, or higher, is desired, or 3 or more progressive years of supervisory skills
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures, and regulations, is desired
- Reasonable business experience in an administrative capacity is desired
- 3-5 years supervisory experience.
- Bachelors degree
- Experience in healthcare setting.
- Experience with Tele tracking technology.
Saturday & Sunday / 7:00pm - 7:00am
Thrusday & Friday / 3:00pm - 11:30pm
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.