How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan (U-M) is seeking a qualified Content Strategist to join a creative, talented and entrepreneurial team within the Office of Academic Innovation (AI) that is shaping the digital learning landscape at U-M and beyond. Reporting to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, the Content Strategist will be responsible for composing social media posts, writing blog content and press releases, creating website content, and developing email marketing messaging. In addition to writing, this position will also have a role in coordinating and maintaining the Academic Innovation blog and will work closely with other members of the Marketing and Communications team, as well as AI partners across the University.
You enjoy working in diverse teams and are experienced in writing content for multiple audiences. You are comfortable working in a higher education context. You are excited to explore new opportunities for publication. You are curious and communicative, actively embrace challenges, demonstrate passion for digital education, and enjoy working within a dynamic, fast-paced team environment. You are open to learning new techniques, and sharing knowledge with your peers.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Write compelling communications content as part of the marketing and communications plan for Academic Innovation using the Academic Innovation and Michigan Online brand voice and style, including communications using the Academic Innovation website, blog, partner websites, MailChimp, social networks, and other channels
- Generate, research, and identify ideas for stories, and organize a content calendar that highlight students, faculty, staff, and alumni that are working on efforts that advance the mission and vision of Academic Innovation
- Identify appropriate delivery methods, including but not limited to, case studies, press releases, blog posts, presentations, targeted email outreach, social media campaigns, and newspaper articles
- Prepare follow-up materials for event attendees and donors
- Source and edit content including interviews and/or guest content with deans, faculty, students and alumni, and inquiries to ensure published pieces are accurate and relevant
- In collaboration with the Content and Marketing Strategy Lead, develop email communications including updates regarding new Initiatives and events
- In collaboration with the Events and Marketing Specialist, develop event descriptions and invitations
- Work with Graphic Designer and the Content and Marketing Strategy Lead to develop content that supports the fundraising efforts of the Academic Innovation team
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or another relevant field
- Minimum 5 years additional experience in communications, media relations, or another relevant field
- Excellent communication, organization, and planning skills
- Proficient in Associated Press writing style
- Experience coordinating and developing communications across a variety of marketing channels
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to a non-technical audience
- Understanding of social media, blog management, email marketing, and related best practices
- Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite and Google suite
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and take initiative, while keeping supervisor and project leads in the loop
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and service-oriented attitude
- Strong commitment to teamwork and problem solving, as well as the ability to act independently
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage workload under time constraints and conflicting demands
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Journalism, English, or another relevant field
- Familiarity with academic/University-based communications, procedures and processes
- Experience managing and editing communications within WordPress blogs
NOTE: This is a five-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.