How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
Reporting to the Software and DevOps Manager, this position will help the University of Michigan reimagine the potential of educational technology. Join our team and become a driver of innovation at the world’s great public research university. Academic Innovation is a startup environment leveraging modern technologies, languages and approaches. Work with complex data and cloud-based solutions. Be part of a dynamic multi-disciplinary team that focuses on creativity and impact; automation and iteration.
The Office of Academic Innovation is transforming education on campus and around the world. The developer selected for this position will play a critical role in advancing and exploring the cutting-edge of software innovation at the University of Michigan. They will operate across a wide range of exciting new projects and technologies with a focus on leveraging dedicated development cycles to target the initialization, improvement and iteration needed to advance high-priority software innovations.
You are a self-driven technical expert who enjoys conceiving and implementing solutions to complex real-world problems. You think in terms of abstraction, modularity and reuse. You architect your projects to both address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You know how to work backward to address a problem rather than accept a solution.
You are known for your forward-looking mindset, anticipating needs and opportunities before they emerge. You believe in iteration and think in terms of efficiency and sustainability, pursuing automation and reducing points of failure. You take pride in the work you deliver and are known for the quality of your releases. You set ambitious goals and realistic milestones.
You are valued as a team member and thought partner. You are comfortable presenting your ideas to your team and stakeholders. You are a skilled and enthusiastic collaborator who works well in team settings, knowing where to listen to the expertise of others and when to lead with your own.
You think from the user perspective and challenge yourself and your collaborators to think about impact and design solutions to identifiable challenges. You care about usability, functionality and presentation of the applications you design. You have experience creating something new and helping projects realize their potential.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Project level application development, including reviewing the work of project developers and designers
- Coordinate with QA to ensure fully tested and high-quality version releases
- Maintain technical familiarity and expertise with the evolution of mainstream and emerging technologies
- Collaborate closely with software developers, user experience designers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, at the University of Michigan
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop software architecture and designs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 2 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working in a cross-functional product team
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience working with Python or Ruby and an associated web application framework (e.g.: Flask, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specifications and create working, valid HTML5/CSS/JS
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
NOTE: This is a five-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.