How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of Academic Innovation (AI) is seeking a Learning Experience Designer to join a creative and talented team within the Office of Academic Innovation. Academic Innovation applies expertise in the science of learning to the creation and iteration of online, hybrid, and residential learning experiences. The role and responsibility of this position is to enable innovative learning design approaches across the University of Michigan (U-M) community and beyond. This position will report to the Learning Experience Design Lead and also work closely with the Director of Learning Experience Design and Media Design.
This position will contribute to the creation of high-quality educational experiences offered through the University of Michigan. The role and responsibility of this position is to lead the design process, support faculty innovators, and propose solutions for complex challenges in online learning environments. The role is a key contributor in expanding the capabilities of AI to achieve our vision of expanding U-M’s educational offerings, including MOOCs and new online degree programs. By leading the learner-centered design process, the Learning Experience Designer plays a key role in supporting course teams to incorporate established practices and learning theories in the development of new courses and the transformation of existing courses. This position will focus on analysis, design, creation, and evaluation of a variety of problem contexts.
The ideal candidate for this position will have worked in a multidisciplinary team environment, has experience in instructional design in higher education, has a passion for improving access to education, and has a desire to explore and research how technology and design practices can be used to transform education. This role will work within a fast-paced environment to develop instructional strategies for MOOCs, online degree programs, blended learning experiences, and other digital education environments that are aimed at unlocking new educational opportunities and enabling personalized, engaged, and lifelong learning for the U-M community and learners around the world.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
Design and development
- Collaborate with Learning Experience Designers, Design Managers, Media Specialists, and researchers to design and evaluate high-quality online and hybrid courses
- Apply a range of design methods and learning theories to learner-centered course design
- Oversee the development of learner personas for primary and secondary audiences, ensuring that diverse groups of learners are represented
- Provide course teams and faculty partners with relevant and inspirational examples that can serve to spark ideas and creative solutions
- Seek and propose technical or innovative solutions to pedagogical design challenges
- Spotlight important design considerations, such as creating materials that are accessible to global learners and learners with disabilities
- Create documentation and graphic organizers to guide faculty in creation and refinement of materials and assessments that will become part of the online experience
- Storyboard activities/animations when additional coding or graphics are required
- Review course design decisions to ensure that activities, and resources are appropriately aligned with learning goals and desired course outcomes
- Consult on the assessment creation, including multiple-choice quizzes, rubrics, and peer-graded assignments
- Provide feedback to course design teams on consistency and appropriateness of course content and presentation
- Characterize the pedagogical design of a course and make research- and evidence-based recommendations for iteration and improvement
- Interview/survey instructors and learners to understand needs
- Analyze interview and survey data to inform course improvements and iterations
- Develop methods and tools to assess the efficacy of our instructional designs
- Present learning design innovations at leading educational conferences
- Contribute instructional design expertise by designing workshops for faculty and staff
- Develop design templates, checklists, and guidelines
- Contribute to the advancement of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals through U-M collaborations and innovation
- Master’s degree in education, instructional design, educational technology, or information science
- 5+ years of experience (or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience)
- Demonstrated vision and passion for creating learning experiences that place a high value on diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
- Deep understanding of learning theories, instructional design methods, and learner-centered design principles
- Demonstrated expertise in applying a learner-centered approach to course design
- Demonstrated expertise in assessing project outcomes and making recommendations for improvement and iteration
- Experience working in curriculum design teams in higher education settings
- Experience using online education platforms (e.g., Canvas, Coursera, and edX)
- Demonstrated experience and interest in working in a team environment
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and service-oriented attitude
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability
- Doctorate degree in education, instructional design, educational technology, or information science
- Experience communicating to diverse audiences through a variety of modalities
- Experience writing and presenting research proposals for academic and practitioner-focused conferences
- Experience teaching in an online environment or in K-12 or higher education settings
- Skills in visual communication and user experience design
- Skills in developing web-based interactives
This position may be filled at the Senior or Intermediate position, depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
NOTE: This is a five-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.