How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of Academic Innovation (AI) at the University of Michigan is hiring a creative, enterprising, and detail oriented individual to help define, build, and champion a holistic and inventive strategy for open online learning experiences embodied within Michigan Online, a digital destination featuring curricular innovations ranging from short form content to online degree programs.
This role is an opportunity to work with schools and colleges within the University of Michigan as well as external organizations to identify alignment between their strategic priorities and learning innovation, define the vision for growth and adoption of Michigan Online content and the development of associated learning communities, and work closely with experts in many domains to bring that vision into reality.
The Partnership Development Lead will report to the Associate Director of Design Management and collaborate with colleagues across the Office of Academic Innovation to identify and explore new opportunities and partnerships to enable our online learning strategy and engage learners on campus and around the world.
You are an active listener that can synthesize what you hear into a digestible framework. You are very comfortable facilitating discussions amongst diverse groups of all sizes and can stay positive even when encountering resistance. You are self- and socially-aware, self-managed, and thoughtful about cultivating relationships. You have an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach to your work and a passion for higher education. You thrive in an environment where new opportunities and questions pop up in unexpected places and you get to work on a team trying to answer those questions as they take shape. You love learning and are intensely passionate about connecting learners at all life stages to engaging and effective educational experiences. You likely have had consulting experience, perhaps in higher education, but just as likely in other sectors. You have experience identifying user needs, scoping complex problems, and designing and creating something new to help an organization realize its potential. You have deep intuition and a desire to help the great public research university achieve our vision for the future.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Work with AI leadership to refine a vision for the AI’s online learning experience portfolio, as well as Michigan Online and related properties as a destination for top tier learning content and engagement opportunities
- Collaborate with the Research & Development team to gather and develop insights from analytics, surveys, and focus group data to inform platform/product strategy and help develop impactful experiences for multiple audiences.
- Define metrics and develop strategies for platform adoption, engagement, and growth
- Work closely with colleagues to research, identify and build on opportunities for new audiences, partnerships, content areas, and learner communities
- Increase engagement among U-M students, alumni, faculty and staff who might use Michigan Online as a source for lifelong learning, curriculum supplements, and professional development
- Develops plans and timelines for pipeline development and maintains documentation to disseminate required information to relevant stakeholders at regular intervals
- Identify, develop, and nurture relationships and partnerships with academic and non-academic units across the University, as well as external organizations to foster adoption and adaptation of existing Michigan Online content and surface unmet content needs and goals
- Build a range of presentation tools to facilitate potential partners’ understanding of our offerings
- Train colleagues in the art of exploratory conversations and coordinate and track such conversations across the team
- Systematically solicit and prioritize user needs and potential new features to aid in the development of a product roadmap
- Collaborate with the Software & User Experience teams to understand trade-offs, implications, and potential impacts of new features, and participate in the development of a roadmap for the Michigan Online site
- Participates in conversations and communities on campus around digital learning and other topics related to carrying out the vision and mission of the Office of Academic Innovation
- Work with Marketing, R&D, Course Operations, Design Management, Learning Experience Design, and Media teams to identify and tell stories about the evolution and impact of the portfolio and associated learning communities.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 or more years of related experience (educational technology, instructional design, learning science, information science) or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of trends in technology, innovation, and higher education. Familiarity with: Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs), Open Educational Resources (OER), Learning Management Systems (LMS) like edX, Coursera, Canvas, and other educational platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals and groups at all levels within the University and ability to manage collaborative academic partnerships.
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and service-oriented attitude.
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Excellent team and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment.
- Skill in promoting diversity and inclusion and bringing an equity focus to our work.
- Supervisory experience in the context of digital education, higher education, or equivalent.
- Master’s degree and 2-5 years of related experience building successful programs, products, or initiatives.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, technology and standards of digital media production.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
NOTE: This is a five-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.