How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Media Solutions Engineer to support video-related infrastructure and technology in the Office of Academic Innovation (AI). The Media Solutions Engineer will work to develop and maintain studio infrastructure, assess and address technical issues, identify opportunities for enhancement of workflows, and develop new tools and technologies to support the advancement of innovation in teaching and learning. Harnessing strong technical and communication skills the Media Solutions Engineer will also work closely with AI’s Media Technology team, media designers, design managers, and other AI stakeholders across campus to proactively design an environment where digital assets and workflows support efficiency and experimentation.
The Office of Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Manage the Office of Academic Innovation Lab space, including the media production computers, edit suites, studios, and field equipment
- Manage the implementation of a Media Asset Management System
- Manage storage and archive systems
- Assess, maintain, and replace production equipment and supplies
- Manage and maintain networking infrastructure
- Assist with media capture, editing, and post-production, and other media production activities when necessary
- Hire and supervise student technical assistants
- Participate in research related to video and online/hybrid learning
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 5+ years’ experience supporting media production in a senior role
- 5+ years’ experience administering and troubleshooting Macintosh computers in enterprise media production environments
- Experience administering Windows computers
- Experience providing consultation services
- Experience evaluating and communicating technical risks and benefits of differing video solutions
- Experience managing teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse expectations
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and thrive in an environment with rapidly changing requirements and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to design, implement, and configure custom hardware and software solutions
- Demonstrated ability to develop documentation and training materials for face to face, written, online, and webinar delivery modes
- Experience administering Media Asset Management systems (MAMS) with multiple tenant solutions and custom MAMS workflows
- Software development experience
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues and configurations
- Experience with streaming audio/video setup and technical management
- Experience administering Storage Area Networks and LTO systems
- Video production experience
- Web development experience
- Project management experience
- Electrical engineering experience
- Experience in Augmented Reality and/or Virtual Reality
- Fabrication experience
NOTE: This is a five-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.