How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan’s Business Engagement Center provides a wide variety of services to enhance the relationship between the business community and the University. These services provide an information bridge between industry, entrepreneurial and governmental communities and ensure rapid, effective connections to people and resources at the University.
As the Communications and Data Assistant, you will be responsible for project coordination and administrative support for the Business Engagement Center communications director, data analyst, and other corporate relations staff.
40% - Communications and marketing coordination and support, including:
- Serve as communications assistant/coordinator, assisting the Communications Director with a variety of communications and marketing projects
- Work with print/digital vendors to produce communications collateral/materials
- Coordinate social media schedule, create content for Twitter and LinkedIn, and assist with developing social media strategy
- Assist with marketing design projects
- Develop writing projects for website and e-newsletters
- Help post content on the website
- Manage marketing material supplies
40% - Data management and projects, including:
- Data entry and management in the Donor Alumni Relationship Tool (DART) and tasks that arise with it
- Data tasks (clean-up, batch uploads) within the BEC’s Salesforce Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) system and between Salesforce and DART systems
- Support BEC team with data analysis projects related to strategic plan and team growth strategies
- Assist with revenue tracking and data management for missing gift revenue
20% - Administrative support of some relationship manager staff, communications director and database analyst, including:
- Pcard & Statement of Activity reconciliation, process invoices through accounts payable
- Organize campus visits and meetings (facilities, catering, parking)
- Check logging and drop-off, front desk reception coverage and mail pick up
- Schedule meetings and conference rooms, coordinate travel arrangements, maintain calendars
- Agenda preparation for visits with industry partners, faculty, program administrators and executive directors; coordinate logistics and greet guests
- Prepare and run Business Objects reports
Other responsibilities and special projects by the staff as needed
- Associate’s degree (preferably in business/office administration), and a minimum of 2-4 years of work experience in a corporate/academic/research or university development/advancement environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people, including senior executives in industry and high-level administrators
- Experience in customer service
- Ability to work as part of a team in a professional and collaborative manner
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to navigate and manage ambiguity successfully
- Must be flexible, proactive, resourceful, and possess the ability to work well under pressure
- Proficient with computer software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, G Suite – Gmail, Drive, Docs, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures, particularly with regard to Concur and DART
- Knowledge of and experience with U-M sponsored research, gift processing procedures and Business Objects
- Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce CRM, social media management, website management (Wordpress) and/or email marketing tools (Mailchimp)
- Experience working with Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.)
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.