This posting is for a temporary, Psychiatric Care Worker (PCW). PCWs, under the direction of the Medical Director and Clinical Nurses, provide staffing and clinical support to patients. Oversee and support patients in such activities as eating, dressing, grooming, social manners and care for rooms and belongings. Assist patients in controlling aggressive or destructive behavior by providing therapeutic and/or physical intervention under supervision. Participate in patient assessment and patient care planning by communicating oral and written observations and behavioral information to nurse assigned to patient. Participate in discussions with nursing staff concerning individual relationships with patients and their response to therapy and treatment. Assist in the preparation of patients and their families for hospitalization by providing information on the hospital environment, operational and routine.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assist patients with or administer routine personal hygiene.
- Transport, ambulate, move and lift patients. Perform emergency first aid measures, such as handling of convulsions or fainting.
- Function as a sitter by providing constant, alert observation of patients assigned by nurse.
- Escort patients to various locations for procedures, tests or court. Assist with maintaining orderliness of patient care and unit environment as directed.
- A minimum of two years of college.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
- Evidence of a responsible work pattern including an outstanding attendance record and arriving on time for your shift.
- Able to take and process direction from multiple people
- Bachlor's degree in psychology or Nurse Aid/Tech/Medical Assistant course preferred.
- Progressively responsible experience working with psychiatric patients, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
The number of hours per week for this Sunday - Saturday 24/7 position varies.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.