How to Apply
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume & a cover letter (this should be the first page of your resume) – click the Apply Now button above. Your cover letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
- Include your salary expectations for this position.
The salary for this position will be commensurate with the qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Come join a team of passionate and hard-working individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations! This position will be an integral part of the Merit team.
The Southeast Michigan Member Engagement Manager is responsible for developing and executing strategic plans to support the following:
- Member Engagement - Sales & Account Management outreach activities
- Merit Services sales
- Member recruitment
This position requires the ability to work both independently and within a team environment as well as across the organization with other Merit departments. The individual in this position must be able to manage multiple projects and opportunities, and be able to prioritize and manage their work schedule in a fast-paced environment.
The individual in this position is required to become a Subject Matter Expert for at least one Merit security service, in addition to building sound knowledge and capabilities with regard to our Network Services portfolio.
Please Note: This position is based out of our Ann Arbor, MI location and will require regular travel within Southeast Michigan.
To learn more about Merit Network, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/
What You'll Do
Essential functions for this position are followed by an (E).
As the Southeast Michigan Member Engagement Manager, this position’s key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Engagement & Procurement Activities (70%):
- This position is responsible for sales of Merit services and Member recruitment. (E)
- Develop and implement a business plan to grow Merit’s Membership within assigned region or Membership vertical, expand adoption of Merit services, and facilitate procurement channel growth for the organization. Membership segments to include: Governing Member organizations, Community Networks and Cyber Range customers. (E)
- Lead outreach activities identified by management. (E)
- Engage with decision makers and technical staff to provide consultation on current and future needs of Merit services and network connections. (E)
- Prepare and/or present relevant content at meetings, training sessions, seminars and conferences.
- Provide pre and post-sales outreach. (E)
- Develop and respond to RFPs, initiate quotes and proposals for the sale of services. (E)
- Manage with self-sufficiency through the sales process of inquiry, discovery, quoting, presentation and closing. (E)
- Accurately document all sales and engagement related activities and progress in CRM, with accurate judgment of projected close dates and contract amounts. Document appropriate support information. (E)
- Develop, qualify and close service sales leads, achieving sale and account management objectives set forth by management. (E)
- Work with internal support team to coordinate quoting, installation and support activities. (E)
- Be a resource to Merit’s Members in other regions as requested by management.
- Attend various conferences within Michigan and nationally, as required.
- Deliver highly customer focused service – building and developing ongoing relationships and exceeding their expectations in customer service including but not limited to requests from members for billing and invoice inquiries and service issues. (E)
- Assist with creation and execution of community meetings, events, and webinars.
- Conduct lead generation activities at conferences and events in Michigan and nationally.
Sales Engineering (20%):
- Conduct and/or determine scope definition, analysis of Member requirements, WAN designs, performance projections, Member satisfaction measures, and project management. (E)
- Facilitate technical sales support discussion with Merit engineers, as required.
- Conduct capacity planning exercise with assigned Governing Member institutions in coordination with Merit’s strategic engineering staff.
- Acquire and maintain understanding of Network and Security technologies and services. (E)
- Develop Subject Matter Expertise in the focus area of Merit’s Cybersecurity offerings, as a minimum.
Other Duties (10%):
- Maintain knowledge about growing technology trends.
- Serve as Merit’s physical presence in an assigned geographical region. When necessary, assist Merit Network Operations, Merit Support Center, and Network Engineering within geographical region.
- Provide useful product enhancement insight to Merit staff as identified through engagement activities.
Who We Are
Merit Network is a non-profit, Member-owned organization governed by Michigan’s public universities. Founded in 1966, Merit owns and operates America’s longest-running regional research and education network. After 53 years of innovation, Merit continues to provide high-performance services to the educational communities in Michigan and beyond.
Skills You Have
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in business administration, with an emphasis on customer service and information technology or related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience.
- In-depth understanding of LAN, WAN and middle mile facility Network technologies and services (including, but not limited to: Layer 2 & 3, VoIP, Cloud Applications, and Wireless).
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in sales of network technology products.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in marketing and sales of technology products.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in account management, customer service, out-bound sales or equivalent hands-on, in-person consulting experience.
- Demonstrated experience strengthening ties with existing clients as well as cultivating customers in multiple sectors of the market.
- Demonstrated experience in a technical outreach role including writing, preparing, and responding to proposals, and coordinating meetings with various IT and technical departments to manage and finalize projects.
- Understanding of Network and Security technologies and services.
- Ability to interact professionally and proficiently with individuals at all levels of an organization on technical and strategic discussion topics, involving Merit Executive Management as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (particularly related to technical subjects). Demonstrated excellence in presentation skills. Must be self-motivated, work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a collaborative process to respond, track, and manage Member requests and communications, in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated performance in revenue generation, retention and membership recruiting.
- Fluency with MS Office applications, email, shared calendaring, CRM, and other collaborative applications. Experience with Visio and a plus.
- Strong willingness to understand and to continuously strive to improve knowledge of Merit’s services portfolio and technologies in order to be able to communicate confidently about them to the Merit Community.
- Consulting experience related to community building, business initiatives, product launches and expansions, public private partnership relations, and technology related projects.
- Experience with state and national associations.
- Experience being a trusted representative to external individuals and groups.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, government, healthcare, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations.
- Experience in marketing and/or sales of technology products and/or services to non-profit or educational markets.
Merit Network offers excellent benefits and wellness opportunities. This position receives paid vacation leave, paid sick leave with provisions for extended benefits, opportunities for professional development, and retirement options with 2-for-1 matching that include TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. Please visit http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/ for more information about benefits.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
This is a full-time position, work schedule will be determined by supervisor and may change if necessary. There may be some occasional work required outside of established schedule, which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Typical work schedule is 8am – 5pm, Monday through Friday for most staff.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Requires working in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, cloud-based systems, and AV/teleconferencing software & equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication. Employee may on occasion be required to move items of various sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Regular travel within Southeast Michigan & occassional national travel for conferences/events is required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network Inc. conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please visit our website at: https://www.merit.edu/about/careers/
- If you need assistance completing this application, please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.