How to Apply
A cover letter (no more than 1 page) is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Note: The Luzum laboratory is not a wet lab, but rather a dry/computational lab, in which the majority of our work is the collection, cleaning, and analysis of clinical data.
The College of Pharmacy, Department of Clinical Pharmacy is seeking a qualified Research Area Specialist Associate to assist research activity within the Luzum Lab. The overall goal of the Luzum Laboratory is to improve cardiovascular medication outcomes with precision medicine, with an emphasis on using genetics. The Research Specialist will assist the Principal Investigator, Jasmine Luzum, and the other members of the lab in planning, executing, organizing, and reporting research activities. The Research Specialist will conduct (and assist students in) data collection and verification, data analysis, interpreting research results, and scientific writing/editing.
- Prepare and submit clinical & genetic data requests (e.g., from the Michigan Medicine Data Office for Clinical & Translational Research and the Michigan Genomics Initiative)
- Clean and prepare clinical & genetic data for statistical analysis
- Create data collection forms using REDCap
- Perform chart review of electronic medical records
- Perform statistical analysis using SAS or similar statistical software (i.e., descriptive statistics and some inferential statistics such as univariate tests and multivariate regression and survival analyses)
- Write, revise, and submit scientific abstracts, posters, manuscripts, grant proposals, PowerPoint slides, and progress reports
- Conduct literature searches and summaries
- Write IRB applications and protocols
- Assist the Principal Investigator with prioritization of research activities, tracking research progress, supervising students’ progression, managing budgets, and meeting deadlines
Candidate is expected to have previous experience in most of the job responsibilities listed above, but may not have experience in all. The Principal Investigator will train the candidate in some of the responsibilities, as long as the candidate is motivated to learn and receptive to feedback. The Luzum lab has many students as members, and thus the candidate will assist the PI in training and supervising students in their research activities.
- Bachelor's degree in a related science or health field (e.g., pharmaceutical science, chemistry, biology, biochemistry)
- 1 year of research experience or more
- Project management, scientific writing, data collection and analysis experience
- Biostatistics experience
- Data management
Master's degree, PhD, or health professional doctorate (e.g., MD, PharmD, etc) in biostatistics, epidemiology, genetics, cardiology, or related health field.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.