How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
OAMI is seeking a Research Area Specialist Intermediate to provide data analytic support and expertise for the OAMI SuccessConnects program. This position is a temporary appointment (20 hours/week) for OAMI research and evaluation of SuccessConnects.
The Research Area Specialist Intermediate will serve as the primary staff member overseeing and/or performing the data collection, data processing, database management, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and report writing for SuccessConnects. The position will work in partnership with staff from OAMI to fulfill data requests and will provide data analytic expertise for the SuccessConnects program.
The position is an FLSA exempt position that reports directly to the Director of Evaluation and Assessment within the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The successful candidate will be a creative, solution and action-oriented, reliable, collaborative, skilled, and organized professional.
The Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) works collaboratively with campus and external partners to develop strategic programs that provide University of Michigan students with resources, opportunities and experiences that enrich their academic, social, cultural, and personal development at U-M. Specifically, OAMI’s SuccessConnects program is a holistic support program focused on ensuring U-M undergraduate’s academic, personal, and social success at Michigan. SuccessConnects promotes opportunities to excel in the undergraduate experience, ranging from networking and professional development to study skills and study abroad opportunities, while giving students a community of scholars and leaders amongst whom they can thrive.
- Oversee all data analytic aspects of the research process, including instrument development, data collection (quantitative and qualitative), and data analysis, and manuscript and report preparation.
- Serve as the expert in statistical analysis, interpreting research findings, and writing up the results for reporting needs.
- Other duties include data cleaning; preparation of documentation for data sets; and working collaboratively with staff to develop and implement new systems for data gathering.
- Lead/assist with preparation of research papers and manuscripts for publication and presentation at conferences and workshops.
- The Research Area Specialist Intermediate also will be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in statistics or social science discipline.
- At least four years of experience in data processing and analysis of a complex nature.
- Knowledge of research principles and practices.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in data management and analysis, including the cleaning and merging of datasets from multiple sources.
- Demonstrated quantitative research experience using statistical analysis such as ANOVA and regression modeling.
- Proficiency with SPSS.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft computing environment, particularly with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience with Qualtrics or other online surveying programs, and database management tools, such as Salesforce.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Outstanding organizational skills and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Academic knowledge of a social science discipline, including advanced study or demonstrated capacity for social science research that is generally associated with an earned doctorate degree, or an equivalent combination of education and progressively responsible work experience.
- Knowledge of higher-level multivariate statistical modeling and techniques.
- Proficiency with R for statistical computing.
- Experience with U-M business processes and systems including U-M student records is highly desired.
- Demonstrated program evaluation related to diversity, achievement, and/or access issues is a plus.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.