How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Clinical subjects associate (research assistant) needed to assist with execution of multiple technology driven intervention RCTs, involving adolescents and young adults. This position will involve conducting Motivational Interviewing on social media with teen and young adults who misuse substances (alcohol, marijuana). These studies utilize unique methods of blending social media-based communication (e.g., gifs, emojis, trending content) into a theoretically-driven therapy intervention. This position also involves other study tasks including recruitment and follow-up procedures and qualitative and quantitative coding.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Candidate will be responsible for conducting remote intervention delivery in the form of Motivational Interviewing therapy online with subjects and sending Qualtrics follow-up assessments. Additional job responsibilities may include attending weekly supervision with experienced clinicians when providing online therapy, data entry, preparing assessment materials (e.g., surveys), coding study correspondence, and performing other routine project tasks. Candidate will be responsible for updating and utilizing project databases, following all study protocols and procedures, and documenting risk assessments. This position entails a varying schedule, planned in advance, with some mornings, afternoons, late evenings during active recruitment periods, and a requirement to work approximately two weekend shifts per month during active study periods. Potential involvement in clinical settings as well (hospital, clinics) pending additional study funding. Additional study tasks may be assigned as needed.
- Applicants must possess at least a bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, public health, or a related field, and have a minimum of one year of experience.
- The ability to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adhere to strict confidentiality requirements is mandatory.
- Applicant must be able to work independently for extended periods while maintaining effective communication and guidance from study coordinator and principal investigator.
- The ideal candidate is organized, detail-oriented, demonstrates professionalism, flexibility, empathy, and is very familiar with mobile devices and social media (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter).
- Experience working on a multi-disciplinary team and using Qualtrics, MS Excel, and Access is preferred.
- Previous work/training experience in an area related to health, mental health, alcohol/substance use, research, or social sciences is preferred.
- Previous experience with Motivational Interviewing preferred.
- Master’s degree preferred in a field related to psychology, social work, counseling, public health, nursing, or related.
Will vary, some nights and weekends required.
North Campus Research Complex, 2800 Plymouth Rd., Bldg. 16, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan participates with the federal EVerify system. Individuals hired into positions that are funded by a federal contract with the FAR EVerify clause must have their identity and work eligibility confirmed by the EVerify system. This position is identified as a position that may include the EVerify requirement.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.