Michigan Medicine Finance is seeking a financial analyst to join the Enterprise Financial Reporting team. The Enterprise Financial Reporting group plays a key role in reporting the financial status for Michigan Medicine as well as analyzing variances and operating performance trends. The primary customers for this role include Michigan Medicine operational and financial leadership, University Central Finance, as well as departments within the organization.
Is This Job Right for You? This job might be right for you if you…
- Want to work in a collaborative environment and understand the value in being part of a strong team
- Are able to function independently, and require minimal day-to-day supervision to deliver projects in a timely and effective manner
- Are able to analyze financial and operational trends and identify financial results that do not meet expectations
- Enjoy presenting information to groups ranging in size and level of financial acumen
- Have a natural curiosity for investigation of financial variances and the ability to translate their analyses into actionable information for decision making at all levels within the organization
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Work at Michigan?
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 2:1 match on retirement savings
- Generous Paid Time Off Benefits
- State of the art technology and equipment
- Continued education allowance
- Teaching and mentorship opportunities
- Participate in monthly closing process
- Review of monthly income statement and balance sheet by entity
- Perform variance analysis of key income statement and balance sheet anomalies, with an understanding of the relationship between operational activity and financial results
- Assist in Michigan Medicine’s annual Internal Controls sub-certification process. Interface with Campus Internal Controls Office regarding future projects and offerings
- Compile financial presentations for various leadership groups
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts
- Participate in budget and forecast development for Michigan Medicine organizations
- Participate in various strategic financial planning and financial modeling activities for the organization
- Assist in preparation of audited annual report. Interface with external auditors regarding annual report and year end closing processes
- Prepare ad hoc financial analyses and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business Administration with emphasis in accounting and finance
- Technical accounting capability with knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Minimum 2-5 years of financial reporting experience, either management internal reporting or external financial reporting
- Prior experience analyzing / understanding financial variances of actual vs. planned amounts
- Problem solving capabilities including root cause analysis, process comprehension, development of alternative solutions, and recommended course of action
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written. Ability to analyze large amounts of complex information to present simple and concise material to the appropriate audience
- Financial systems acumen, including considerable experience with MS Excel (Pivot tables, VLookups, etc) and PowerPoint as tools for advanced analytics and communication
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines
- CPA certification
- Industry experience and / or background in healthcare
- Experience in preparing annual / quarterly reports for shareholders or bondholders, including footnote disclosures and management discussion and analysis commentary
- PeopleSoft / Oracle / Hyperion financial software experience
NOTE: Please include a cover letter that addresses how your experience meets the job requirements. In order to transmit the cover letter, it should be included as a page of your resume.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.