How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Extended Reality (XR) Software Developer to work with a team of highly-skilled developers and prototypers that will define and deliver amazing software experiences to create XR experiences for teaching and learning across the residential and online curriculum. As part of a major strategic initiative within the University, this role will be critical in advancing pedagogy with XR tools. This position requires experience in Virtual, Augmented, and/or Mixed Reality software development using industry standard development lifecycles.
Reporting to the Extended Reality Initiative Technical Lead, the Developer will be responsible for delivering impactful XR experiences across the 19 schools and colleges within the University of Michigan as well as the online curricula. The Developer collaborates with academic unit administrators, faculty, course teams, instructional designers, instructional technologists, IT staff, digital media specialists and external partners to lead designing, developing and delivering Michigan’s XR experiences.
You actively embrace challenges, thrive on solving tough problems with immersive technology, demonstrate passion about digital education and hybrid learning and how it impacts the future of higher education, and enjoy working within a dynamic, fast paced team environment. You’ll work closely with key stakeholders in design, development and program management to define new kinds of Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality/Mixed Reality experiences.
You are a self-driven technical expert who enjoys conceiving and implementing solutions to complex real-world problems. You think in terms of abstraction, modularity and reuse. You architect your projects to address the situation in front of you and optimize for future flexibility. You will play a key role in building and iterating on interactive prototypes and incubate and release innovative experiences to the University community. You must possess a deep understanding of the process and challenges of the XR development workflow and how those challenges can be overcome to develop new ways of teaching and learning. You can't be limited by a very defined job description and must have a collaborative, proactive and creative way of achieving great results while respecting deadlines.
The Center for Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, leadership in learning analytics and personalization at scale, AI aims to shape the future of learning and redefine public residential education at a 21st century research university by unlocking new opportunities for the U-M community and learners around the world.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Continuously improve processes, and support team members
- Manage project requirements and timelines, and communicate changes to the wider team
- Provide strategic input to the leadership team to help shape the direction of key initiatives
- Clearly communicate project status and action items to the team
- Manage day to day performance and operation of your work
- Drive development of engaging interactive prototypes to test new ideas with users and communicate design concepts to team members, product groups, and executives
- Work on tight deadlines while managing and prioritizing multiple projects
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of designers through iterative development to insure the product vision is conveyed in an impactful and expressive manner
- Manage delivery of production front end and design deliverables and relationships with University partners
- Contribute to an evolving design culture and process throughout the Center for Academic Innovation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- At least 2 years of professional or academic software development experience
- Experience delivering production front end software to market
- Strong understanding of VR/AR/MR development
- Experience with human computer interface (HCI), particularly spatial interfaces.
- Demonstrable ability to create engaging VR experiences
- Advanced knowledge of 3D game development tools (Unity, Unreal or related)
- Professional experience with C#, C, or C++
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to design, develop and execute projects
- Strong agile development and design sensibilities
- Strong understanding of the 3D art pipeline
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams
- Passion for emerging technologies
- Strong understanding of 3D math and Linear Algebra
- Able to quickly adapt to changing situations and take on new challenges
- Proactive in problem-solving
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Note: This is a three-year, term-limited position.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.