TRIO Student Support Services Tutor / Mentor
Job Description: SSS TRIO Tutor / Mentor students by assessing needs and developing a course of action, academic counseling, financial aid consultation, goal/motivation guidance, presentation preparation and delivery, public speaking, assist with career exploration, recruit and track students, promotion of services, telephone conferencing. Accurate, complete, and timely documentation/case notes and data entry are mandatory. Confidentiality and sensitivity are required. Additionally, successful candidate will work with a variety of students from diverse backgrounds and have a working knowledge of campus and community resources. Other duties as assigned.
Starting pay is $12.00 / hour
• Academic Counseling
• Financial Aid Consultation
• Goal Setting
• Workshops: Time Management, Note Taking, Budgeting, Study Skills, Structured Study Schedules, etc.
• Career Exploration
• Knowledge of Campus and Community Resources
• Accurate, complete, and Timely documentation/Case Notes, and Data Entry are MANDATORY
• Confidentiality and Sensitivity are required
• Contact assigned mentees and scheduling mutually convenient mentoring sessions
• Notify mentees as soon as possible if scheduled meetings must be cancelled or changed
• Arrive punctually at scheduled work times
• Provide encouragement to students to help improve academic performance
• Check email and voicemail regularly and respond to mentees in a timely manner
• Communicate regularly with the Academic Counselor about mentees’ progress
• Demonstrate understanding and acceptance of student diversity
• Follow the highest standard of ethical conduct as outlined in the MSUB General Bulletin
Qualifications: A successful candidate will work with a variety of students from diverse backgrounds. While a junior or senior status is preferred, students with other class standings will be considered. Student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
Work – study eligibility is preferred.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.