How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The project manager will plan, lead, organize and motivate project teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering a complex portfolio of projects that provide exceptional business value to users. They will be responsible for managing several concurrent high-visibility projects in a fast-paced environment that cross multiple business divisions. The project manager will play a number of different roles:
• Leading and managing large, complex, enterprise-level projects, consisting of multiple teams and/or requiring integration with other activities outside the scope of the teams. Projects include large-scale change projects, product development; new IT systems installations and process documentation creation; implementation of quality assurance and training programs; and systems integration.
• Help put in place the appropriate people, process, and tools, as well as coaching members of the team as needed to optimize the efficiency of project teams.
• Using a hybrid approach, good judgment, and skills to enhances a project management approach that is suitable for planning and managing the effort to achieve the project goals within designated project constraints.
In performing these roles, the project manager will be expected to use a high level of knowledge and experience in blending traditional and agile (SCRUM) project management principles in the right proportions to fit large, complex, mission-critical, enterprise-level projects and with the appropriate level of planning and provide the right balance of agility and predictability.
- Planning and management for digital transformation and other projects: define projects scope and schedule while focusing on regular and timely delivery of value; organize and lead project status and working meetings; prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; correct deviations from plans; and perform delivery planning for assigned projects.
- Team management: ensure teams and individuals achieve their deliverables; leverage organizational resources to improve capacity for project work.
- Process management and improvement: progressively elaborate current project management processes and champion improvement initiatives to implement best practices.
- Product owner support: support product owners in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications and helping to implement an effective system of project governance.
- Team building: promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engages in the project and making a meaningful contribution.
- BA or BS or equivalent experience.
- PMP certification or Prince 2 certification or equivalent.
- Knowledge and proven implementation of both agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions.
- Proven ability to lead large, cross-departmental programs and projects, building consensus across stakeholders and ensuring project requirements are met.
- Project management software proficiency for creation of project timelines, action capturing, progress reporting and executive updates.
- Knowledge of Quality Management practices.
- Experience in all Office Tools.
- 5+ years’ experience as a project manager managing large, complex projects and overseeing multi-function project teams.
- Degree in Business Management, Computer Science or Software Engineering.
- Master’s degree in Business or Technology Development.
- Lean training/certification.
- Agile Scrum Certified.
- Ability to provide leadership to managers and teams, collaborate with vendors, and develop strategies and solutions of high business value.
- Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building.
- Strong analytical, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to manage competing demands.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of trust and confidence.
- Exemplary communication skills and experience interacting with individuals at all levels including the executive level.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while maintaining the ‘big picture’ view.
- Knowledge of functional and non-functional requirements gathering processes.
- Hands-on Agile/Scrum implementation experience.
- Experience managing digital transformation or software projects.
For additional information please visit our website at https://michiganassessment.org/
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.